Jul 9, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony is going to make his decision soon. We think. We hope. And it seems to be down to the Lakers and Knicks, with the Bulls holding out a slim hope.
Going back to New York means being the biggest star in the biggest market, playing for his favorite boyhood team and, of course, the most money ($129 million). But it also means putting your trust in Phil Jackson, a famed coach but first time executive, and first-time coach Derek Fisher. It means trusting they can build a triangle team (and playing in the triangle).
Kevin Durant told Anthony he can trust Fisher. That according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Kevin Durant loves him some Derek Fisher… tuck that away for 2016 if you want.
Fisher made his own pitch to Anthony already, one which was based around the fact the Knicks are not going through another season like the last one. That according to Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com.
Fisher, speaking in Las Vegas at the team’s summer league practice on Tuesday, said he gathered during the meeting that one of Anthony’s top priorities is to put himself in a winning situation. And the first-year coach made it clear to Anthony that he felt the Knicks could turn things around in 2014-15.
“He wants to win, wants to be successful,” Fisher told reporters of Anthony. “The time I had the visit with him I just shared with him we’ll be a better basketball team because we’ll play the game a better way, play as a team, play with a system and format to allow the game to be easier for him for him and his teammates.
“I’m not sure if it hit home,” Fisher added. “I guess we’ll find out. Hopefully we’ll find out soon.”
Soon. Your lips to God’s ears, Fisher.
The Knicks should be better this season, they underachieved last season and while that is a flawed roster it is one with pieces that should help win more and at least make the playoffs in the East. Even without Tyson Chandler (whose presence in the paint will be missed).
That said, it’s about the longer-term plan in New York and if Anthony returns it’s about that. It’s about trusting Jackson and Fisher. KD at least tried to do his part.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18