Jul 9, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Chandler Parsons is in the second tier of free agents, the ones waiting for the LeBron James/Carmelo Anthony bottleneck to break free. He’s in the green room waiting to go on with Pau Gaol, Paul Pierce, Greg Monroe and a host of others.
The Rockets want to keep Parsons — a restricted free agent, meaning Houston can match any offer — but it could come down to money.
And if the Cavaliers strike out on LeBron and he stays with the Heat, the Cavs could throw a lot of it at Parsons, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Parsons is an incredibly athletic wing player who can hit the three or put the rock on the floor and finish strong at the rim. He understands offensive spacing and how to use it. His defense is a work in process but improving.
If the Cavaliers believe (as they do) that Andrew Wiggins is really a big two guard plugging Parsons at the three, with Kyrie Irving at the point, makes for a very good and interesting lineup. Plus a young one that is improving.
Of course, the Rockets might just match the offer. Remember they have James Harden and Dwight Howard, they won 54 games last year and see themselves as up-and-coming contender in the West. Parsons is part of that vision.
It could depend on what happens with the Rockets efforts to land Chris Bosh or another stretch four (if LeBron chooses Miami Bosh is expected to return with him, at a discount).
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10