Jul 9, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Chandler Parsons is in the second tier of free agents, the ones waiting for the LeBron James/Carmelo Anthony bottleneck to break free. He’s in the green room waiting to go on with Pau Gaol, Paul Pierce, Greg Monroe and a host of others.
The Rockets want to keep Parsons — a restricted free agent, meaning Houston can match any offer — but it could come down to money.
And if the Cavaliers strike out on LeBron and he stays with the Heat, the Cavs could throw a lot of it at Parsons, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Hearing Cavs have strong interest in Rockets RFA Chandler Parsons if LeBron elects to stay to Miami. Parsons said to be next-in-line target—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 09, 2014
Parsons is an incredibly athletic wing player who can hit the three or put the rock on the floor and finish strong at the rim. He understands offensive spacing and how to use it. His defense is a work in process but improving.
If the Cavaliers believe (as they do) that Andrew Wiggins is really a big two guard plugging Parsons at the three, with Kyrie Irving at the point, makes for a very good and interesting lineup. Plus a young one that is improving.
Of course, the Rockets might just match the offer. Remember they have James Harden and Dwight Howard, they won 54 games last year and see themselves as up-and-coming contender in the West. Parsons is part of that vision.
It could depend on what happens with the Rockets efforts to land Chris Bosh or another stretch four (if LeBron chooses Miami Bosh is expected to return with him, at a discount).
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 10
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 18
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34