Jul 9, 2014, 12:51 AM EDT
Update: Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
If the Jazz match the offer, they can’t trade Hayward without his consent for a year, and they can’t trade him to Charlotte in that span. That rule — plus Hayward’s player option and trade kicker — make him tougher to move.
Utah must really want to keep him.
Despite the Jazz threatening to match any offer he receives, Hayward has convinced Charlotte to navigate the treacherous road of restricted free agency.
Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer:
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
A projected max contract would pay $14,756,881 starting and $63,011,880 over four years. Anything less and Hayward would have probably held out for one of his many other suitors – including the Celtics, Cavaliers and Suns. As soon as he signs an offer sheet, he’s locked into those contract terms – whether it’s with the team signing him or the Jazz should they match.
And I bet Utah matches within its three-day limit. Hayward is too valuable to let walk with no return. Besides, where would the Jazz spend the money they’d save, anyway? They don’t need to hoard cap space.
Hayward can’t officially sign until Thursday, and I figure Charlotte and Utah will discuss a sign-and-trade beforehand. By committing to sign Hayward, the Hornets give themselves a little leverage. Maybe the Jazz would find a sign-and-trade preferable to paying Hayward so much money. There’s a little time to sort all that out, but once Hayward officially signs an offer sheet, a sign-and-trade is no longer possible.
At least everything is in motion now. Hayward will almost certainly play for the Hornets or Jazz next season.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85