Jul 9, 2014, 12:51 AM EDT
Update: Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
If the Jazz match the offer, they can’t trade Hayward without his consent for a year, and they can’t trade him to Charlotte in that span. That rule — plus Hayward’s player option and trade kicker — make him tougher to move.
Utah must really want to keep him.
Despite the Jazz threatening to match any offer he receives, Hayward has convinced Charlotte to navigate the treacherous road of restricted free agency.
Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer:
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
A projected max contract would pay $14,756,881 starting and $63,011,880 over four years. Anything less and Hayward would have probably held out for one of his many other suitors – including the Celtics, Cavaliers and Suns. As soon as he signs an offer sheet, he’s locked into those contract terms – whether it’s with the team signing him or the Jazz should they match.
And I bet Utah matches within its three-day limit. Hayward is too valuable to let walk with no return. Besides, where would the Jazz spend the money they’d save, anyway? They don’t need to hoard cap space.
Hayward can’t officially sign until Thursday, and I figure Charlotte and Utah will discuss a sign-and-trade beforehand. By committing to sign Hayward, the Hornets give themselves a little leverage. Maybe the Jazz would find a sign-and-trade preferable to paying Hayward so much money. There’s a little time to sort all that out, but once Hayward officially signs an offer sheet, a sign-and-trade is no longer possible.
At least everything is in motion now. Hayward will almost certainly play for the Hornets or Jazz next season.
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15