Jul 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
UPDATE 11:58 am: If you’re going to have LeBron James on your team you need shooting.
So in addition to making moves to get Ray Allen, the Cavaliers are also talking to Grizzlies free agent Mike Miller, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN. Not coincidentally another former Heat player LeBron liked being paired with.
The question is will all of this matter.
11:20 am: Another sign the Cavaliers are putting together a roster to attract LeBron James:
They are going after Ray Allen, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Allen spent the last couple season in Miami with LeBron, time that is best remembered for the shot that lifted Miami over the Spurs in Game 6 of the 2013 Finals and gave them a shot at a title.
Allen said after the Finals he wasn’t sure he wanted to retire (although that was a consideration) but was only going to play on a contender — he’s only coming to Cleveland if LeBron is.
Allen is still in great shape, he still is a consummate professional and still can knock down the corner three — 57 percent of his shots were from three last season and he hit 37.5 percent from there.
However, Allen’s fading athleticism has made doing things other than shooting — for example defending — difficult. Speaking with him at the Finals he seems frustrated by that.
This move, along with the Jarrett Jack trade to clear out cap space, are the things the Cavaliers want in LeBron’s mind when he sits down with Pat Riley to make a decision on Wednesday.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3