Jul 9, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
The Bulls are still believed to be one of the finalists to land Carmelo Anthony in free agency, who is reportedly deciding between Chicago, New York and Los Angeles for where he’ll sign next.
Chicago is stuck waiting for Anthony’s decision, but they do have other players in mind should he end up deciding to go somewhere else.
And Pau Gasol may be at or near the top of that list.
According to a source, the Bulls feel that if Anthony goes elsewhere, they are one of the leading candidates to land free-agent big man Pau Gasol — unless Anthony happens to choose the Los Angeles Lakers, which could start the dominos falling and convince Gasol to re-sign with the Lakers. …
Besides the Bulls, Gasol was being targeted by the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Miami Heat, the Lakers, the San Antonio Spurs and the New York Knicks. The Thunder and the Bulls were the teams that impressed Gasol the most, at least until Tuesday, when reports from a Monday meeting between Gasol and Thunder coach Scott Brooks resulted in the Thunder believing the money wouldn’t work. …
In joining the Bulls, Gasol would be walking in as a starter on a playoff-caliber team that plays an unselfish style he likes. He has expressed his desire to start wherever he goes.
The Thunder are considered to be a long shot at this point, and not only due to the team having far less to offer financially than other teams in the race. Gasol reportedly was concerned about leaving Los Angeles for Oklahoma City, which is something that will plague the Thunder in attracting big name free agents no matter the team’s perennial status as a legitimate title contender.
L.A. would only make sense if the Lakers were among the high bidders for Gasol, which may only happen if in fact Anthony were to choose Los Angeles. The only other real option would seem to be the Knicks, where Gasol has firm relationships with both Phil Jackson and new head coach Derek Fisher, which would no doubt ease any transition.
The Bulls remain intriguing, however, because of just how close they’re believed to be to championship-ready, especially in the Eastern Conference. It all hinges on Anthony’s decision, but once that happens, the dominoes will begin to fall — and one of the first could be Gasol.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14