Jul 9, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Former Knicks coach Mike Woodson was a top target, and Rivers landed him.
Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:
Rivers also pursuing Lawrence Frank (his former assistant in Boston) and Wizards assistant Sam Cassell, source says. Nothing final there.—
Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) July 09, 2014
Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times:
Per source, Larry Drew is interested in coaching again, with Clippers and Doc Rivers if it can be worked out.—
Brad Turner (@BA_Turner) July 09, 2014
You can bet Rivers would treat Larry Drew better than his last employer did.
But that’s not the only reason Rivers draws impressive assistants.
He delegates responsibility and has established a culture of valuing input. Lawrence Frank experienced it with the Celtics, and left in limbo in Brooklyn with Jason Kidd demoting him and Lionel Hollins being hired, Frank wants back with Rivers.
Gentry and Lue received raises to leave Los Angeles, and both could become head coaches net summer. That’s Rivers’ influence.
Woodson (Knicks, Hawks), Frank (Pistons, Nets) and Drew (Bucks, Hawks) have each held multiple NBA head-coaching jobs. In one sense, that makes them extremely qualified to work under Rivers. In another, they’re on their last legs as NBA head-coaching candidates. But if anything can boost their résumés, it’s a year working under Rivers.
Woodson has a particularly big challenge ahead. Failing in New York gets noticed. His iso-heavy offense and switch-heavy defense really sputtered with the Knicks. But Woodson earned a lot of respect as a Larry Brown assistant, and there’s no reason he can’t ease back into that role under Rivers.
The Rivers influence would be pretty strong if it lands Woodson a head-coaching job anytime soon. But the Clippers should at least get a good assistant coach.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11