Tuesday And-1 links: Plenty of small free agency updates (plus Spencer Hawes wants Blake Griffin’s number)
Jul 8, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than German strikers like to score goals….
• Maybe the best thing I’ve read about the “trade rumor era” in the NBA. If you read one thing today it should be Bryan Curtis’ piece at Grantland.
• Andre Drummond wants Greg Monroe back with the Pistons. More importantly, so does Stan Van Gundy. That said nobody has made him a max offer yet, but that’s part of the dam that could break after the LeBron/Carmelo bottleneck shakes loose.
• In case you missed it, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade had dinner at LAVO restaurant in the Palazzo in Las Vegas Monday. What you think that means says more about what you want to happen than what they actually talked about, because we don’t know. Here is what I do know: If you’re going to it Italian at the Palazzo B&B is the better option.
• Also in case you missed it, Pau Gasol met with OKC coach Scott Brooks on Monday. The Thunder have made a big push for him with both Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook making personal pitches. But Gasol has a lot of options and there are questions if the urbane Gasol wants to move to Oklahoma City.
• Spencer Hawes is going to be so much fun on the Clippers.
• Derrick Rose update:
• Among the players waiting on LeBron James to make a decision? Garrett Temple. He was reportedly going to get an offer from Miami but he doesn’t want to go to Miami if LeBron is not there, so he is being patient. The Wizards also are in the mix.
• Jordan Farmar talks about his decision to move down the hall at Staples Center to the Los Angeles Clippers.
• At Grantland Zach Lowe nailed the complexities of the idea players should sacrifice money to win.
• In case you missed it, San Antonio agreed to a two-year deal with guard Bryce Cotton, but it is only partially guaranteed.
• Former Raptor and Spur Nando De Colo decided rather than ride another NBA bench he is going to take $2 million from CSKA-Moscow. Can’t blame him.
• LeBron James’ jersey from Game 1 of the NBA Finals this year — the “cramp game” — sold for $50,000 at a charity auction.
• Tony Wroten showed up at the Seattle pro-am and dropped 53, and made one defender look very, very, bad.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 2
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 20
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38