Jul 8, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
The Knicks selected Thanasis Antetokounmpo with the 51st pick in this summer’s draft, and the 21-year-old brother of Bucks sensation Giannis Antetokounmpo appears to have an NBA-ready skill set, at least on the defensive end of the floor.
But New York is going to take its time in developing this particular prospect, and will reportedly stash him in Europe for the upcoming season.
Greece’s Thanasis Antetokounmpo will be able to show his skills when the Knicks open their Las Vegas Summer League schedule Friday, but The Post has learned it will be the last American venue for their second-round selection for a while.
According to source close to the defensive specialist, the Knicks drafted him with plans of stashing him in Europe for one season, even if he has a solid summer league showing. The Knicks have their first summer-league practice Tuesday in Las Vegas. Antetokounmpo was selected by the Knicks with the 51st pick, which they acquired as part of the Mavericks trade that sent Tyson Chandler to Dallas.
There’s always a bit of a risk with not locking up these European prospects to NBA deals immediately, because many of them choose to stay overseas for extended periods that are longer than what the NBA team was initially led to believe was the plan.
With Giannis being in the states and already thriving in Milwaukee, that’s mitigated here to a strong degree. But it seems as though Knicks fans will have to get their fill of Thanasis during Summer League, enough to last them for at least the duration of the upcoming season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18