Jul 8, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
The Heat finally made some additions to the roster on Monday in free agency, but the signings were somewhat underwhelming to those outside the Miami market.
A target that the Heat weren’t able to acquire but attempted to is likely to be of far more interest.
You may remember Lance Stephenson of the Pacers, who engaged in all kinds of non-basketball nonsense against the Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals, which included blowing in the ear of LeBron James and, at one, point, smacking him in the face during a dead ball situation.
Those antics didn’t exactly endear Stephenson to the Miami fan base or the team’s players, but desperate times call for desperate measures — and apparently, the Heat reached out and made an inquiry to see about adding him to the roster.
And they’ve even tried to entice some talents you wouldn’t expect, such as Pacers’ agitator Lance Stephenson.
That report, from ESPN’s Dan LeBatard, may have surprised some, considering that James, Wade, Bosh and the rest of the Heat became weary of what Ray Allen labeled “buffoonery” during the recent Eastern Conference finals. But it shouldn’t, if you know how strongly James feels about simply adding talent that can assist his championship aspirations, even if it comes with some attitude.
Stephenson is in no rush to get a deal done, even though the dollars are dwindling in Indiana and the Pacers may not have even their initial offer of five years and $44 million anymore that Stephenson already rejected. But he will have offers from other teams in that range or beyond once the bigger names begin to come off the market, and for that reason, Miami was never a real option, despite the team’s reported level of interest.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 50
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 25
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10