Jul 8, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
The Heat finally made some additions to the roster on Monday in free agency, but the signings were somewhat underwhelming to those outside the Miami market.
A target that the Heat weren’t able to acquire but attempted to is likely to be of far more interest.
You may remember Lance Stephenson of the Pacers, who engaged in all kinds of non-basketball nonsense against the Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals, which included blowing in the ear of LeBron James and, at one, point, smacking him in the face during a dead ball situation.
Those antics didn’t exactly endear Stephenson to the Miami fan base or the team’s players, but desperate times call for desperate measures — and apparently, the Heat reached out and made an inquiry to see about adding him to the roster.
And they’ve even tried to entice some talents you wouldn’t expect, such as Pacers’ agitator Lance Stephenson.
That report, from ESPN’s Dan LeBatard, may have surprised some, considering that James, Wade, Bosh and the rest of the Heat became weary of what Ray Allen labeled “buffoonery” during the recent Eastern Conference finals. But it shouldn’t, if you know how strongly James feels about simply adding talent that can assist his championship aspirations, even if it comes with some attitude.
Stephenson is in no rush to get a deal done, even though the dollars are dwindling in Indiana and the Pacers may not have even their initial offer of five years and $44 million anymore that Stephenson already rejected. But he will have offers from other teams in that range or beyond once the bigger names begin to come off the market, and for that reason, Miami was never a real option, despite the team’s reported level of interest.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11