Jul 8, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The Bucks new owners are still learning something about handling things with class.
The Bucks’ former owner, Herb Kohl, has the classy part down cold.
Kohl is on his way out the door after owning the team for 29 years (selling the team for a cool $550 million), and in pure basketball terms it wasn’t the best nearly three decades — eight playoff trips in the last 23 years, no Finals. However, he handled himself with dignity through all of it. And that continues as he nears stepping down (the other owners just have to approve the sale, something expected soon).
You may have read where Kohl gave gifts of $500 to employees at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, where the Bucks played their home games.
What you haven’t read, though, is that Kohl’s generosity extended much further. He also bestowed significant financial gifts to others in the organization, from secretaries to sales personnel to basketball operations officials. The amount Kohl gave those employees varied and was based on different criterion, not the least of which was longevity with the organization.
Some Bucks employees received $40,000 while others received nearly $100,000. And there were even some individuals who were given checks that one person close to the situation described as “life changing.”
We applaud you Kohl. Well done sir.
As a reminder, as part of selling the team Kohl set it up for the Bucks not to leave Milwaukee — if the new owners can’t get a new arena deal done, the league can buy back the team and re-sell it rather than let it be moved.
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 0
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 3
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 11
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23