Jul 8, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Jason Kidd has moved on from being the Nets head coach to taking the same job in Milwaukee, after unsuccessfully trying to gain more power within Brooklyn’s front office.
After just one year as an NBA head coach, that move couldn’t possibly have been all that thrilling to the Nets brass, so not surprisingly, they went with a much more tenured head coach in Lionel Hollins as Kidd’s replacement.
Hollins is unlikely to have those same front office aspirations that Kidd so ungratefully showed, and he reminded us of that during his introductory press conference in Brooklyn on Monday.
Unlike his predecessor, he has no interest in a front-office position, isn’t yearning for power beyond his head-coaching duties and is satisfied with only controlling what takes place on the court.
“I’m a basketball coach,” Hollins said. “I don’t want to do [general manager] Billy [King’s] job. I don’t want to do anybody else’s job in the organization but the one I’m hired to do. That’s important to me. …
“You see a few coaches have gotten more power where they’ve gotten president and coach,” Hollins said. “That’s not my goal.”
Shots fired or nah?
Probably not. Hollins was very likely just making the same thing clear to the public that he probably had to go out of his way to clarify during the interview process, which is that he’s here to coach, and will leave the front office stuff to the people who are already firmly in place in those jobs.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54