Jul 8, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
Jason Kidd has moved on from being the Nets head coach to taking the same job in Milwaukee, after unsuccessfully trying to gain more power within Brooklyn’s front office.
After just one year as an NBA head coach, that move couldn’t possibly have been all that thrilling to the Nets brass, so not surprisingly, they went with a much more tenured head coach in Lionel Hollins as Kidd’s replacement.
Hollins is unlikely to have those same front office aspirations that Kidd so ungratefully showed, and he reminded us of that during his introductory press conference in Brooklyn on Monday.
Unlike his predecessor, he has no interest in a front-office position, isn’t yearning for power beyond his head-coaching duties and is satisfied with only controlling what takes place on the court.
“I’m a basketball coach,” Hollins said. “I don’t want to do [general manager] Billy [King’s] job. I don’t want to do anybody else’s job in the organization but the one I’m hired to do. That’s important to me. …
“You see a few coaches have gotten more power where they’ve gotten president and coach,” Hollins said. “That’s not my goal.”
Shots fired or nah?
Probably not. Hollins was very likely just making the same thing clear to the public that he probably had to go out of his way to clarify during the interview process, which is that he’s here to coach, and will leave the front office stuff to the people who are already firmly in place in those jobs.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14