Lakers free agency plans holding up the signing of Julius Randle

Jul 8, 2014, 10:28 AM EST

Julius Randle Julius Randle

The good news as far as the Lakers first round draft pick is concerned is that he’s fully healthy, and won’t require any offseason surgery.

The bad news is that L.A.’s free agent plans are holding up the signing of his contract, which may delay his ability to play for the team at Summer League in Las Vegas.

Julius Randle was selected by the Lakers with the seventh overall pick in the draft, and for the most part, the rookie-scale salary that goes along with that designation is determined by the collective bargaining agreement. But there is a small amount of wiggle room, and the Lakers are keeping it for now as they wait to see who might be available to them as free agency unfolds.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

Rookie Julius Randle, medically cleared by a foot specialist last week to play on his right foot without any further surgical procedures, is waiting to sign his contract before he can participate in the summer league games.

“We’ll see,” Randle said when asked if he would be suiting up for the Lakers first game against the Toronto Raptors on Friday. “It’s kind of really out of my hands right now. I’m ready to play whenever, but it’s not really in my hands right now.”

The Lakers, of course, are waiting to actually ink Randle to his rookie deal as long as they are pursuing Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James, because they want to keep as much cap space open as possible to facilitate the deals.

Randle currently has a cap hold of $2.497,800, which is money set aside for him that can’t be offered to say, Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James (or anyone else) in free agency. But teams can sign their first round picks for up to 120 percent of that amount, and they usually do, especially for those players chosen in Randle’s spot.

The maximum amount Randle could receive is $2,997,360 — a difference of almost $500,000 that the Lakers may very well need to sign someone else.

L.A. is waiting on free agency, which obviously makes sense given the current state of the franchise. But it could end up costing Randle in one form or another — either on the contract side, or in terms of valuable time that could be spent getting his game NBA-ready in Vegas.

1. lakerade - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:02 AM

S.O.P.

2. jzone954 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM

And a coaching staff…
    Maybe Kobe will be the first ever on the court coach in NBA history.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM

It’s already happened.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Ah, another Heat fan that didn’t know the NBA existed before 2010.

There have been TONS of on-court coaches in NBA history, most notably including Lenny Wilkens, Bill Russell (who won TWO championships as player-coach), Dave DeBuschere, Bob Cousy and Bob Pettit.

• xmen1906 - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Also known as player-coach

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Yes, like I said in my comment, a player-coach.

Also, notably, another Heat fan that doesn’t understand the CBA and the business of the NBA. Player-coaches are SPECIFICALLY prohibited within the CBA. The funniest part about this, is the Heat’s very own Juwan Howard was subjected to this rule. He retired after last season so that he could become a coach, since it is prohibited to be both coach and player.

3. edbrowndesign - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Not a good way to start the career of someone you wanna build your franchise around

4. addict2sport - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Have to trust Lakers have a plan. As a long time fan, seems like they’re making moves on the fly though.

5. 00maltliquor - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM

If James/Anthony were smart, that little bit of “chump change” they shouldn’t be concerned about for a player of his quality. If you want to win he gives a better chance. Sacrifice the stupid $500,000 or so. If signing one of those guys hinges on a sum of money these guys usually spend in a club with VIP bottle service then I quit.

6. luz56 - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I was a long time Laker fan from 1977 but now a Phoenix Suns fan..I know I have been down with my comments about the Lakers and heres why…There is this sense of entitlement because of years past…The teams was gifted and lucky at the same time….The brand really meant something…Jimmy Buss is a real joke…. I am not sure what they are waiting for???? No coach, few players and hitching your boat to CA who isn’t a team player is the wrong direction…Sure the brand makes millions but isn’t it about the fan base too??…I said before all that glitters isn’t gold anymore…I like the Randle pick and outside of that they have nothing…..Nobody knows what Kobe is going to do…Seems like he has isolated himself to the point that many aren’t keen on wanting to play with him and possible not the brand?….If I was still a Laker fan I would be concerned about the turn around the Clippers have made and the new owner with big bucks…If its about playing in LA there is now a viable option isn’t there??

• 00maltliquor - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Boooo

Don’t come crawling back if/when we return to glory too.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM

If you’re willing to switch your allegiance just because the team isn’t doing well, you’re not a true fan. Sorry.

• luz56 - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Sorry but moving to Phoenix i cheer for the home team now but still like the Lakers..Too bad my point hit home and bothers some. Can you not be a fan and see the crap that is happening or do you just turn a blind eye to it all??

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I lived in Seattle for a while and I’m still a Lakers fan.

Yeah, I’ve noticed the team isn’t very good. They lost over 50 games last season. Extremely painful to watch their games. Doesn’t mean I’m going to stop being a fan and just start supporting some other team that is better. When they’re back on top again like they’ll inevitably be at some point in my lifetime, it will only make it more worth it.

• luz56 - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Look..Im a MInnesota Viking fan to from years ago but cheer for the AZ Cards….What I stated was the obvious about the Lakers..Re read the post…This has nothing to do with a team having one good year….The Lakers are reeling on the brand and players are snubbing them…Is it Kobe?? Is it the luster of playing for the Lakers gone…Is it Jimmy Buss?? 15 Years ago they could get anyone…why not now?

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM

“15 Years ago they could get anyone…why not now?”

I don’t know. I don’t work in the Lakers’ front office.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

@ luz

I guess you have to turn a blind eye. A REAL fan stays with the team through thick AND thin, no matter what. Something like a marriage (a real one, not these new-age marriages that only last for less then 10 years, the kind you saw with your grandparents where they took ’till death do you part” literally).

I’m also a Raiders fan and I haven’t seen them be good for pretty much my entire adult life, and I just turned 31. I will never jump ship.

7. unxpexted1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM

So whats the difference in having him play and other people that are on the summer league that arent contracted by the team. I didnt realize a rookie had to be signed in order to participate, since the team has their right.

8. luz56 - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Great answer… You don’t work for the Lakers…neither do I but Im just stating the obvious in todays market

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches