Jul 8, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Chris Sheridan, a former ESPN reporter who launched his own site, believes he has a source who knows about LeBron James’ plan in free agency.
Maybe Sheridan is ahead of this. He’s been around a long time and has connections.
Or maybe he’s elevating an unreliable source, because sensational updates draw page views.
I don’t know, but I do think these reports are worth considering.
A plugged-in source tells me there is a 90 percent chance that LeBron James will return to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and it will be announced on www.lebronjames.com if it happens.
That is my latest intelligence, and it comes from the same league source who told me Monday that he felt there was a 75 percent chance James returns to his original NBA team.
I am told the folks at lebronjames.com were updating their servers to handle a traffic crush, but I could not confirm this
Was Sheridan’s source wrong yesterday? Or has something changed in the last day?
If it’s the latter, Sheridan doesn’t explain any developments – a big hindrance to Sheridan establishing his own credibility.
And if it’s the former, that’s pretty self-explanatory. That would mean Sheridan’s source doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
Either way, I’m not taking this report at face value, but I share it for three reasons.
1. You can believe it fully if you desire.
2. I thought LeBron would stay in Cleveland in 2010, when, in hindsight, so many pre-Decision signs pointed to him leaving. I’m probably more apt to paying attention to the tea leaves this time, even though I won’t believe them out of hand.
3. If you want to maniacally refresh www.lebronjames.com, you have a chance of knowing LeBron’s decision seconds before everyone else. (Perhaps, omeone with a vested interest in that site drawing traffic would have incentive to mislead Sheridan. Hmmm.)
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2