Jul 8, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Chris Sheridan, a former ESPN reporter who launched his own site, believes he has a source who knows about LeBron James’ plan in free agency.
Maybe Sheridan is ahead of this. He’s been around a long time and has connections.
Or maybe he’s elevating an unreliable source, because sensational updates draw page views.
I don’t know, but I do think these reports are worth considering.
A plugged-in source tells me there is a 90 percent chance that LeBron James will return to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and it will be announced on www.lebronjames.com if it happens.
That is my latest intelligence, and it comes from the same league source who told me Monday that he felt there was a 75 percent chance James returns to his original NBA team.
I am told the folks at lebronjames.com were updating their servers to handle a traffic crush, but I could not confirm this
Was Sheridan’s source wrong yesterday? Or has something changed in the last day?
If it’s the latter, Sheridan doesn’t explain any developments – a big hindrance to Sheridan establishing his own credibility.
And if it’s the former, that’s pretty self-explanatory. That would mean Sheridan’s source doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
Either way, I’m not taking this report at face value, but I share it for three reasons.
1. You can believe it fully if you desire.
2. I thought LeBron would stay in Cleveland in 2010, when, in hindsight, so many pre-Decision signs pointed to him leaving. I’m probably more apt to paying attention to the tea leaves this time, even though I won’t believe them out of hand.
3. If you want to maniacally refresh www.lebronjames.com, you have a chance of knowing LeBron’s decision seconds before everyone else. (Perhaps, omeone with a vested interest in that site drawing traffic would have incentive to mislead Sheridan. Hmmm.)
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31