If a report says LeBron James is 90 percent likely to sign with the Cavaliers, does that matter?

Jul 8, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

Chris Sheridan, a former ESPN reporter who launched his own site, believes he has a source who knows about LeBron James’ plan in free agency.

As LeBron-to-Cleveland smoke thickens, Sheridan reported LeBron’s entire inner circle – including his wife, Savannah Brinson – wants him to sign with the Cavaliers.

Maybe Sheridan is ahead of this. He’s been around a long time and has connections.

Or maybe he’s elevating an unreliable source, because sensational updates draw page views.

I don’t know, but I do think these reports are worth considering.

Here’s the latest from Sheridan:

A plugged-in source tells me there is a 90 percent chance that LeBron James will return to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and it will be announced on www.lebronjames.com if it happens.

That is my latest intelligence, and it comes from the same league source who told me Monday that he felt there was a 75 percent chance James returns to his original NBA team.

I am told the folks at lebronjames.com were updating their servers to handle a traffic crush, but I could not confirm this

Was Sheridan’s source wrong yesterday? Or has something changed in the last day?

If it’s the latter, Sheridan doesn’t explain any developments – a big hindrance to Sheridan establishing his own credibility.

And if it’s the former, that’s pretty self-explanatory. That would mean Sheridan’s source doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Either way, I’m not taking this report at face value, but I share it for three reasons.

1. You can believe it fully if you desire.

2. I thought LeBron would stay in Cleveland in 2010, when, in hindsight, so many pre-Decision signs pointed to him leaving. I’m probably more apt to paying attention to the tea leaves this time, even though I won’t believe them out of hand.

3. If you want to maniacally refresh www.lebronjames.com, you have a chance of knowing LeBron’s decision seconds before everyone else. (Perhaps, omeone with a vested interest in that site drawing traffic would have incentive to mislead Sheridan. Hmmm.)

1. greenandgoldgirl - Jul 9, 2014 at 6:36 AM

I have no sources but I think LeBron is going to sign a short term deal with Miami, say two years, at the end of which DWade will retire and LeBron will then return to Cleveland. The Cavs are not championship ready but could be in two years. If LBJ gets max dollars from the Heat iit makes sense to stay. In two years he will still be in his prime and can bring a championship to Cleveland and complete the Cinderella story of bringing them a title before his playing days are done. Legacy is important to LeBron and so is that Cleveland title and that might be the best way to do it. So no sources just an opinion.

• coldwater32301 - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

LBJ going back to Cleveland is only a Cinderella story to people who never loved him in the first place…Indeed…

• realfootballfan - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM

This is what’s going to happen. And in 2 years, the Knicks are the team who they’ll need to be worried about unless the Cavs are way better than they are now.

2. bucrightoff - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM

The only reason to resign in Miami is because of the fear of receiving more backlash for going to another team (which won’t happen if he goes to Cleveland). Otherwise, Miami is old and breaking down and Cleveland is young and full of talent. The biggest loser right now looks like it could be Wade because Bosh and LeBron might both get max deals elsewhere while he’s left in the cold.

• coldwater32301 - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Miami without Lebron can beat the current Cleveland roster. Its younger yes but better I cant say that…

3. bobbybouche305 - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM

My Sources just confirmed ..Pat Riley and Mickey Arison heading to Cleveland in multi (12) team trade…

4. 12444uggg - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I’m never going to root for LBJ, but it’ll be interesting to see who does after all of this.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches