Jul 7, 2014, 1:27 PM EST
If you thought Paul Pierce was ready to take a little less to become a smaller cog on a contender, well… not so much.
Pierce, who will turn 37 before next season, wants a two-year deal that is going to pay him handsomely — at least $9 million a year — according to both Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports and Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
For that kind of money, the Nets are the most logical landing spot.
Pierce played 28 minutes a game and scored 13.5 points a game at an efficient .595 true shooting percentage. He can’t be a team’s primary scoring option anymore but he’s still got this crafty ability to get off his shot and he can hit from three or the midrange. He plays a smart game. As a third option he’s fantastic, so long as you can keep his minutes down.
But at $9 million a year… that’s steep. Buzz had been he’d want more than mid-level, however.
The Clippers were interested but can only offer the mid-level exception to Pierce the free agent. Sign-and-trade talks between the sides have broken down.
When the Carmelo Anthony/LeBron James free agency bottleneck breaks loose, a number of teams could call Pierce with interest including Portland, Memphis, Chicago, Dallas and Houston potentially in the mix.
Whether any of them would pay what he is reportedly asking is another question.
If Pierce bolts Brooklyn it is not likely Kevin Garnett returns for another campaign.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18