Jul 7, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
The Rockets need a four who can stretch the floor, score in the post as needed and rebound. Bosh does all those things well and is used to a role where he is not the primary ball handler or star. Plus, Bosh is one of the best pick-and-roll defending big men in the league and a good defender overall, he helps cover James Harden’s errors, not compound them.
In a sign that the Rockets are certain they are out of the Carmelo Anthony running (although they have not been told that officially, according to reports) they are offering a max deal to Bosh, according to Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh had his first direct conversation with Houston Rockets management on Monday morning, inching closer to the possibility of a four-year, $80million-plus contract, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Bosh’s stance on his intentions have remained unchanged: His preference is to stay with Miami on a new deal and play with LeBron James. Nevertheless, James hasn’t committed to a return and Houston has moved aggressively to secure a deal with Bosh, sources said.
There are caveats here.
First, if LeBron James does decide to return to Miami (still a real possibility, he meets with Pat Riley this week) then Bosh will go back and take a discount to do so. Bosh is very happy personally and professionally in Miami and isn’t looking to leave.
Second, the Rockets would meet to make a couple trades including moving Jeremy Lin for next to nothing (maybe to Sixers) to clear out the cap space to do it. That said, the Rockets talked max to Anthony so they have a plan.
For Bosh, this would be a return to his home state (he grew up in Dallas) and it would be a big payday.
But it all comes back to LeBron. If he stays in South Beach, Bosh will stay. (Although it gets interesting if LeBron returns and Bosh takes the Rockets offer, Riley would have a lot more money to play with. Don’t bet on this, though.) If LeBron bolts, Bosh is likely on the next plane to Houston.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13