Jul 7, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
The Memphis Grizzlies want Miller to return but a number of very good teams — Oklahoma City, Houston, Portland — have reached out.
As he waits out free agency, Grizzlies’ free agent Mike Miller will visit the Denver Nuggets Sunday and Monday, a source told 92.9 FM ESPN Saturday morning….
Denver does have a mid-level exception available, though using it would likely put the Nuggets into the luxury tax. The Grizzlies, according to the source, had an initial offer of two years and annual salary between $2.4 and $2.9 million. Though Miller has repeatedly expressed his desire to stay in Memphis, he is also looking for more security in what will likely be his last multi-year deal.
Miller was healthy last season and played in every Grizzlies regular season and playoff game, averaging 7.1 points a game and shooting 45.9 percent from three. Still, at age 34 and having not played more than 59 games in the previous five seasons as he battled a variety of injuries, giving him more than a two-year deal would be foolish. A team that only wanted to offer one might be smart.
Also, hard to see the Nuggets going into the luxury tax. However, if they get everyone healthy next season — Danilo Gallinari and JaVale McGee basically missed the entire season — and with the addition of Arron Afflalo they are an interesting and potentially dangerous team in the West.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 12
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 20
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42