Report: Mavericks believe they’ll miss out on LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, will try to sign Chandler Parsons
Jul 7, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Mark Cuban – relying on the pull of Dirk Nowitzki – has done an excellent job positioning Dallas as potential destination for premier free agents. From Deron Williams to Dwight Howard, the Mavericks have struck out lately, but at least they’re drawing looks.
Unfortunately, this year will likely bring more letdown for Dallas. Melo’s top two options appear to be the Knicks and Lakers, and the Heat and Cavaliers seem to lead the LeBron race.
So, what’s next for the Mavericks?
Dallas, believing it will likely lose out on both LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, will attempt to sign Chandler Parsons away from the Houston Rockets. The Mavericks also have Luol Deng and Trevor Ariza in their sights, sources said.
Parsons is a restricted free agent, meaning the Rockets can match any offer he receives. If LeBron and Melo have already signed, Houston would very likely match any offer for Parsons. But if those two stars are still in play, the Rockets would have to think long and hard about matching a big offer.
I’m not convinced Parsons would put Houston in that position. He was slated to earn less than $1 million this season. The Rocket did him a favor by declining his team option and letting him become a free agent, one can draw around $10 million per year. In exchange, maybe he agreed to wait to sign an offer sheet.
But if Parsons gets impatient and wants a guaranteed high salary, the Mavericks sure could make things interesting if they’re out of the Melo/LeBron sweepstakes before Houston.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5