Report: Mavericks believe they’ll miss out on LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, will try to sign Chandler Parsons
Jul 7, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
Mark Cuban – relying on the pull of Dirk Nowitzki – has done an excellent job positioning Dallas as potential destination for premier free agents. From Deron Williams to Dwight Howard, the Mavericks have struck out lately, but at least they’re drawing looks.
Unfortunately, this year will likely bring more letdown for Dallas. Melo’s top two options appear to be the Knicks and Lakers, and the Heat and Cavaliers seem to lead the LeBron race.
So, what’s next for the Mavericks?
Dallas, believing it will likely lose out on both LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, will attempt to sign Chandler Parsons away from the Houston Rockets. The Mavericks also have Luol Deng and Trevor Ariza in their sights, sources said.
Parsons is a restricted free agent, meaning the Rockets can match any offer he receives. If LeBron and Melo have already signed, Houston would very likely match any offer for Parsons. But if those two stars are still in play, the Rockets would have to think long and hard about matching a big offer.
I’m not convinced Parsons would put Houston in that position. He was slated to earn less than $1 million this season. The Rocket did him a favor by declining his team option and letting him become a free agent, one can draw around $10 million per year. In exchange, maybe he agreed to wait to sign an offer sheet.
But if Parsons gets impatient and wants a guaranteed high salary, the Mavericks sure could make things interesting if they’re out of the Melo/LeBron sweepstakes before Houston.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45