Jul 7, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
Heck, if you’re fan of any NBA team and you just want to see free agency get moving, you have an interest in that meeting occurring sooner rather than later. So many teams and agents won’t proceed until LeBron and Carmelo Anthony choose their landing spots.
Good news might be on the way for those in a hurry.
Riley can try selling LeBron on his two big signings – Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger. I have no idea how LeBron will react to those moves, but unless he reverses his stance on receiving a max contract, those two are likely Miami’s last major outside additions this offseason.
I’d guess this meeting will trigger one of two outcomes:
1. LeBron states an intention, publicly or privately, to re-sign with the Heat.
A third possibility – a longer holding pattern – is possible, but I’d think LeBron has waited long enough for everything to shake out. I believe/hope this meeting with Riley will set wheels in motion – one way or another.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61