Jul 7, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
The Heat are not getting vintage 2009, All-Star Danny Granger. Rather, the model they have has been through a few knee operations and is not the same guy. Watch him in person and you see the explosiveness is gone. He was uninspiring with the Pacers last season, looked better but not great with the Clippers, but in the playoffs he shot 27.5 percent overall and 22.7 percent from three. His minutes got slashed.
At best is a decent rotation player off the bench.
But the Heat have landed him. A two-year deal for the bi-annual exception has been agreed to, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Pat Riley has been working to upgrade the Heat roster and he now has added Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger. Those are two players the Heat could have used last season, they are improvements (McRoberts in particular) and with Pat Riley not sure what he can really spend and having to act like his team is capped out. Which means exception pieces only, and in that situation Riley did pretty well (although Anthony Morrow for the bi-annual would be much better).
But is that really enough to keep LeBron James in house? Does it show him the team is committed to spend and to improve the roster enough to win?
Those are the only questions that matter.
And the only guy who can answer them has yet to speak to Pat Riley or anyone else.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 10
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46