Jul 7, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Dallas has always been the clear front runner to retain Vince Carter.
While Miami reportedly expressed some interest (Toronto, Oklahoma City and Portland also reportedly had reached out as well) Carter was happy in his sixth man role for the Mavericks last season, and they were happy to have him. Especially against the Spurs in the playoffs.
While Dallas waits for word on Carmelo Anthony (not likely coming) and to see if LeBron James opens the door fully to free agency, they have continued to go after Carter — and they are getting somewhere, reports Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas.
"Things are trending well," source says about Mavs' negotiations with Vince Carter. Not sure about timing, but expectation is deal gets done—
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) July 07, 2014
Carter averaged 11.9 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists for Dallas last season, and did all that fairly efficiently at age 37. The athleticism that made him must watch in his youth only shows in flashes now but he has evolved his game into a reliable, steady scorer and a smart, veteran player.
One it appears headed back to Dallas for another season.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68