Jul 7, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Aaron Gray is big.
Otherwise, the 7-foot, 270-pound center who played for the Kings after the Rudy Gay trade doesn’t offer much. He fouls and turns the ball over too much, and considering he’s 29, what you see is probably what you get.
But Detroit – most likely general manager Jeff Bower, who had Gray in New Orleans – sees something in him.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:
I’d think this is a minimum-salary deal, but it still limits the Pistons’ flexibility. They have 11 players under contract, terms reached with Jodie Meeks and Cartier Martin, a qualifying offer out to Greg Monroe and the rights to second-round pick Spencer Dinwiddie.
Gray makes 16 players with a roster limit of 15 when the regular season begins.
Maybe Gray’s contract is not guaranteed, but the Pistons could waive other players without penalty. They needn’t offer Dinwiddie a contract, though they knew he was injured when they drafted him, so I’m sure they’ll keep him. Peyton Siva’s contract doesn’t become guaranteed until July 13 and Josh Harrellson’s isn’t until July 21.
Perhaps both players will get waived, though this likely at least spells the end of Harrellson’s tenure with the Pistons. Like Gray, Harrellson is a center – though much younger and possessing of more refined offensive skill, including 3-point range. If the 25-year-old Harrellson is healthy, I’d definitely prefer him. He’s played just 75 NBA games and has never gotten a great chance to prove himself, though he’s flashed potential.
To be clear, Harrellson hasn’t done enough necessarily deserve a longer look. But when the alternative is the pedestrian Gray? I’d stick with Harrellson.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 6
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 12
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20