Jul 7, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Aaron Gray is big.
Otherwise, the 7-foot, 270-pound center who played for the Kings after the Rudy Gay trade doesn’t offer much. He fouls and turns the ball over too much, and considering he’s 29, what you see is probably what you get.
But Detroit – most likely general manager Jeff Bower, who had Gray in New Orleans – sees something in him.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:
I’d think this is a minimum-salary deal, but it still limits the Pistons’ flexibility. They have 11 players under contract, terms reached with Jodie Meeks and Cartier Martin, a qualifying offer out to Greg Monroe and the rights to second-round pick Spencer Dinwiddie.
Gray makes 16 players with a roster limit of 15 when the regular season begins.
Maybe Gray’s contract is not guaranteed, but the Pistons could waive other players without penalty. They needn’t offer Dinwiddie a contract, though they knew he was injured when they drafted him, so I’m sure they’ll keep him. Peyton Siva’s contract doesn’t become guaranteed until July 13 and Josh Harrellson’s isn’t until July 21.
Perhaps both players will get waived, though this likely at least spells the end of Harrellson’s tenure with the Pistons. Like Gray, Harrellson is a center – though much younger and possessing of more refined offensive skill, including 3-point range. If the 25-year-old Harrellson is healthy, I’d definitely prefer him. He’s played just 75 NBA games and has never gotten a great chance to prove himself, though he’s flashed potential.
To be clear, Harrellson hasn’t done enough necessarily deserve a longer look. But when the alternative is the pedestrian Gray? I’d stick with Harrellson.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13