Jul 6, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Roy Hibbert is owed $30.4 million over the next two seasons (the second of those is a player option), which is a lot for a player who went on mental walkabout the second half of last season. He played in the All-Star Game but by the end of the season his PER had fallen to 13.5 — below the league average — which was indicative of his poor play. Then in the playoffs he posted multiple 0-0 games (averaging 9.3 points and 5.5 rebounds a game) as the Pacers went from looking like contender to a team that was lucky to make the conference finals.
As you might imagine, the Pacers might like to get out from under Hibbert’s deal and think there might be a team willing to bet that a change of scenery brings them the best defensive big man in the game, the one from a couple of years ago.
So the Pacers are testing the trade waters, reports Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
But, according to multiple front-office sources, the Pacers have quietly sought out possible new landing spots for their enigmatic big man.
“I would say they’ve been doing that, but quietly,” one front-office source said.
The Pacers had thought that if they kept their core together they could grow a contender and for a long time it looked that way, but the second half of last season shook that belief to the core. Now the Pacers are looking at their options.
They have made a five-year, $44 million offer to Lance Stephenson and are not likely to budge off that ballpark. Stephenson doesn’t like it but isn’t having much success finding other offers yet (that could change after the Carmelo Anthony/LeBron James free agency bottleneck breaks). The Pacers have shopped George Hill and others, basically anyone save Paul George is available (although David West would be next to impossible to get).
“They’re open to making major changes, if they’re there,” one general manager told Sporting News. “I think they’d be disappointed to see that same core group back intact, so it is a matter of, how drastic can the changes they make be? Moving Hibbert for multiple pieces would be a pretty drastic change, but they’re asking.”
I can’t see another team taking on Hibbert right now, unless the Pacers threw in a sweetener (future pick for example).
But do expect the Pacers to make some moves.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 0
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18