Jul 6, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The report of Chris Bosh preferring a max contract outside Miami rather than a discounted deal to stay with the Heat included a catch. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:
Multiple league sources say there will be a close-to-max market for Bosh if Anthony and James stay with their respective teams.
Teams in the race for LeBron James and/or Carmelo Anthony are in holding patterns until they commit, and LeBron leaving the Heat and Melo leaving the Knicks – unless one chooses the Suns, who could create max cap room for a second player if they get a little creative – would take two potential Bosh suitors off the market. If LeBron or Melo sign with the Rockets, Mavericks or Lakers – three potential Bosh destinations – Bosh might not stir up enough demand to leverage to get a full max contract.
LeBron staying in Miami would keep all outside options open for Bosh. However…
“Bosh is back in a second if LeBron commits,” one league source involved in the dialogue told Yahoo Sports.
It’s a catch 22. Bosh can get his desired max offer if LeBron stays with the Heat, but if LeBron stays with the Heat, Bosh wants to return to Miami.
It’s possible the right dominoes fall – LeBron leaving, another team still offering Bosh the max – but it’s a narrow road out of Miami for Bosh.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6