Jul 6, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The report of Chris Bosh preferring a max contract outside Miami rather than a discounted deal to stay with the Heat included a catch. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:
Multiple league sources say there will be a close-to-max market for Bosh if Anthony and James stay with their respective teams.
Teams in the race for LeBron James and/or Carmelo Anthony are in holding patterns until they commit, and LeBron leaving the Heat and Melo leaving the Knicks – unless one chooses the Suns, who could create max cap room for a second player if they get a little creative – would take two potential Bosh suitors off the market. If LeBron or Melo sign with the Rockets, Mavericks or Lakers – three potential Bosh destinations – Bosh might not stir up enough demand to leverage to get a full max contract.
LeBron staying in Miami would keep all outside options open for Bosh. However…
“Bosh is back in a second if LeBron commits,” one league source involved in the dialogue told Yahoo Sports.
It’s a catch 22. Bosh can get his desired max offer if LeBron stays with the Heat, but if LeBron stays with the Heat, Bosh wants to return to Miami.
It’s possible the right dominoes fall – LeBron leaving, another team still offering Bosh the max – but it’s a narrow road out of Miami for Bosh.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28