Jul 6, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The report of Chris Bosh preferring a max contract outside Miami rather than a discounted deal to stay with the Heat included a catch. Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:
Multiple league sources say there will be a close-to-max market for Bosh if Anthony and James stay with their respective teams.
Teams in the race for LeBron James and/or Carmelo Anthony are in holding patterns until they commit, and LeBron leaving the Heat and Melo leaving the Knicks – unless one chooses the Suns, who could create max cap room for a second player if they get a little creative – would take two potential Bosh suitors off the market. If LeBron or Melo sign with the Rockets, Mavericks or Lakers – three potential Bosh destinations – Bosh might not stir up enough demand to leverage to get a full max contract.
LeBron staying in Miami would keep all outside options open for Bosh. However…
“Bosh is back in a second if LeBron commits,” one league source involved in the dialogue told Yahoo Sports.
It’s a catch 22. Bosh can get his desired max offer if LeBron stays with the Heat, but if LeBron stays with the Heat, Bosh wants to return to Miami.
It’s possible the right dominoes fall – LeBron leaving, another team still offering Bosh the max – but it’s a narrow road out of Miami for Bosh.
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 0
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 18
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 9
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6