Jul 5, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
The Clippers made an initial offering to try to trade for Paul Pierce that the Nets felt was underwhelming at best.
The pile of bodies known as Reggie Bullock, Matt Barnes and Jared Dudley was (obviously) of little interest, and unless L.A. was willing to bring something more legitimate to the table, Brooklyn’s interest level was reported to be firmly at zero.
So, what exactly would it cost in order for the Nets to consider reuniting Pierce with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles?
Unless Clippers are willing to trade JJ Redick or first-round picks to Nets for Paul Pierce, a sign-and-trade is unlikely, sources tell Y
The future picks part wouldn’t be so hard to envision, since Brooklyn needs them (badly) and a Clippers team expecting to play deep into the postseason for the foreseeable future doesn’t have a whole lot of use for them.
Giving up Redick might be a little harder to swallow, and not only because of his value as a 15.2 points per game scorer. Rivers had to lobby hard with then-Clippers owner Donald Sterling to bring Redick aboard last summer, reportedly due to Sterling’s concerns over paying a player who was white.
All of that is in the past now for the Clippers, but the effects of Sterling’s behavior may linger on, and Redick remaining in Los Angeles might be one of them. Either way, it appears as though the Clippers will have to give up something of actual value if they want to add Pierce to the fold for next season.
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 30
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 16
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6