Jul 5, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Clippers made an initial offering to try to trade for Paul Pierce that the Nets felt was underwhelming at best.
The pile of bodies known as Reggie Bullock, Matt Barnes and Jared Dudley was (obviously) of little interest, and unless L.A. was willing to bring something more legitimate to the table, Brooklyn’s interest level was reported to be firmly at zero.
So, what exactly would it cost in order for the Nets to consider reuniting Pierce with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles?
Unless Clippers are willing to trade JJ Redick or first-round picks to Nets for Paul Pierce, a sign-and-trade is unlikely, sources tell Y
The future picks part wouldn’t be so hard to envision, since Brooklyn needs them (badly) and a Clippers team expecting to play deep into the postseason for the foreseeable future doesn’t have a whole lot of use for them.
Giving up Redick might be a little harder to swallow, and not only because of his value as a 15.2 points per game scorer. Rivers had to lobby hard with then-Clippers owner Donald Sterling to bring Redick aboard last summer, reportedly due to Sterling’s concerns over paying a player who was white.
All of that is in the past now for the Clippers, but the effects of Sterling’s behavior may linger on, and Redick remaining in Los Angeles might be one of them. Either way, it appears as though the Clippers will have to give up something of actual value if they want to add Pierce to the fold for next season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18