Nerlens Noel scores 19 points in Summer League debut with Sixers (VIDEO)

Jul 5, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Nerlens Noel sat out all of last season after he was selected with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 draft by the Pelicans, and then traded to the Sixers that very same night.

Noel was projected to go as high as number one overall, before injury concerns set in and teams feared that he wouldn’t be able to contribute during his rookie season — much like Joel Embiid, who Philadelphia similarly selected this year.

But taking the long view seems to have paid off for the Sixers, if Noel’s Summer League debut is any indication. The big man showcased a variety of skills on both ends of the floor, and finished with a team-high 19 points on 6-of-11 shooting, to go along with two rebounds, three assists, four steals and a blocked shot in a little more than 26 minutes of action. He also converted all seven of his attempts from the free throw line.

Noel has been 100 percent for months now, so his strong showing shouldn’t come as a total surprise. He’s still raw in many areas, but showed a nice touch on his shot, an ability to get out in transition, strong footwork and a good defensive instinct around the basket.

Noel talked about his debut afterward, and his remarks can be seen in the video clip below courtesy of Basketball Insiders.

1. eugenesaxe1 - Jul 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM

That hair has to go.
    Also…”He also converted all seven of his attempts from the free throw line.”…It’s good to see the kid learned his fundamentals.

• kb2408 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Yeah, the flat top has to go. Even Shumpert cut his off. Now if we can only get Noel and Norris Cole to cut theirs.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM

You’ve got to be kidding. For me, it’s not big enough. Until he reaches Kid n’ Play territory, it’s not good enough.

• tfoz5150 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM

It’s because he’d be one, funny looking dude without it, lol.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jul 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM

So, you homo’s ready to talk basketball or would you still like to play Hair dresser?

• 00maltliquor - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:17 AM

LOOL!!!⬆
        Tell ‘em!

2. sportsfan18 - Jul 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Professional debut?

He was paid to play at Kentucky…

3. andreboy1 - Jul 5, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Means NOTHING

I once saw Donte Greene score 40 pts in Summer League.

• tfoz5150 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Lighten up, buddy. The guy was out with a blown ACL the last year and a half.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Who’s Donte Greene?

• Hard On For Harden - Jul 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Was drafted by the Rockets and traded to the Kings in the 08 Ron Artest deal. But you are the sportsfan and know these kind of things.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM

was being sarcastic hard on…

• sportsfan18 - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:51 PM

meaning he’s NOT an LBJ, KD

not on any all NBA teams, not an all star etc…

in other words, who is he? he’s a scrub… well just a tad below league average PER

but still… bet Kobe doesn’t talk to him…

• Hard On For Harden - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Ha, no you weren’t. But the internet allows you to proceed as if that were the case with no repercussion.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:49 AM

yep, you know everything hard on…

i’ve admitted being wrong several times on this site…

many have seen them when I admit I was wrong and thank the person for pointing out when I was wrong.

I’ve completely missed things, not answered the question I was responding to etc…

so I have admitted several times when i’m wrong and I’ll be wrong again (I said that each time too as it won’t be my last mistake).

I know I’m human, make mistakes and I will again and I’ll admit them again.

I messed up bout two days ago with Anit on true shooting % and effective field goal % when talking about dirk and D wade…

I fessed up,

I know of donte and I was being sarcastic

but don’t worry, I’ll make more mistakes in the future…

i can’t be like others on here and be perfect in all I say…

• sportsfan18 - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:55 AM

@ hard on

here ya go… from two days ago…

sportsfan18 – Jul 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM
        as always Anti, when I make a mistake on here and I realize it myself or from others pointing it out, I own up to it.

you’re right on the effective and TS%

as I’ve stated folks, when I’m wrong, I ADMIT it.

won’t be my last mistake either.

8 0
        antistratfordian – Jul 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM
        Fair enough. I made the mistake of looking at the 2012-13 line instead of the one below for Dirk’s WS/48. It happens to the best of us.

1 5

Hard On For Harden

If I would have blown this and you were correct, I would fess up.

I’ve fessed up previously on here to things that weren’t factual.

One poster said I didn’t get something and it went right over my head and I replied that yes I did miss it.

but you just can’t believe I’d be honest with you… that’s on you, not me.

I’ll always admit my mistakes on here

4. kingperk123 - Jul 5, 2014 at 6:53 PM

BOSTON ALL THE WAY!

5. kb2408 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Ok, perhaps this is nitpicking BUT only 2 rebounds for Nerlens?! Looking forward to Julius Randle’s debut.

• denverhoopdreams - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I expected to see closer to 6 or 7 when I checked his stat line, but hey, can’t judge one game.

• tfoz5150 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Nitpicking, he averaged 12 at Kentucky. They’ll come.

• kb2408 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:55 PM

You’re probably right. All I know for sure is Philly will be a bear to deal with in a couple of seasons if Noel and Embiid is as good as I think they can be.

• denverhoopdreams - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Giving you thumbs down because I’m 100 percent positive you gave me the thumbs down.

>:O

/childish

• xmatt0926x - Jul 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM

They should probably cut him. If you don’t get 10 rebounds in your first pro summer league game then you need to go!

6. 88heatnation - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:55 PM

If he stays healthy and continue to develop his offensive game he will be a star.

7. kb2408 - Jul 5, 2014 at 7:56 PM

*are*

8. themagicfanguy - Jul 5, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Oladipo looked even better. Gordon had some impressive plays but him and Payton turned the ball over to much, they should be better in the next few games.

• sportsfan18 - Jul 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Oladiiiiiiiiipppppppooooooo

kid is gonna be good, solid… probably not a star, but a real good player…

• sumkat - Jul 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM

with a season of nba play under his belt (at over 30 minutes a game, more thna anyone on the spurs), he should be dominating this league. Odd to even see him in it, he didn’t see to have any change in his mechanics, so how much value is he really getting from these games?

I don’t know that he looked better than Noel at all, although it’s an awful comparison since their games could hardly be any more different. If anything, I think Noel looked better considering, like I said, Oladipo has a full season under his belt, and Noel hasn’t played in 18 months.

9. mungman69 - Jul 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM

It’s nice to see that the Sixers are trying to become a super team and not a .500 team going nowhere. If Noel and Embiid work out in Philly maybe then some free agents will actually want to call Philadelphia home.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Jul 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM

but will they really need free agents if Noel, embiid, carter-williams, Saric, and next years number one draft pick pan out?

• 00maltliquor - Jul 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Exactly. If they all pan out then they will lose 2/4 players like the way OKC just had to give up James Harden for next to nothing.

• sumkat - Jul 6, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Yes, you can only play so many bigs (next years #1 will most likely be a big). One of those guys (Right now I’m leaning toward Noel, both because he may wind up being the least talented of Him/Embiid/Next years #1, and he will be do a raise sooner), will be sign and trade bait

I also don’t think this ownership group has any problem going in to the luxury tax, and the Thunder’s aversion to that was the main reason they lost Harden. You also have to keep in mind, they’ll have a good 6 years before they have to give Saric a raise from his rookie deal since he won’t be over for 2 years.

They have until the 17-18 off season (and this one, and 15-16 are basically a waste), and still have the ability to sign a max fa with no problem, and a 2nd if they move a guy or two.

But even if they all pan out, they’ll need some sort of scoring form the wing. Having bigs fill the net is awesome, but MCW isn’t as much of a pure scorer. To contend for a title, they are going to need offense from the 2-3 spots

10. zinger92 - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I actually watched the whole game and it seemed like the ball was just not bouncing his way off the rim for any rebounds. Just one of those days I guess, they will obviously come.

11. zinger92 - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM

What’s not being talked about is his ridiculous reach and quick hands to get steals as a big man, just unreal.

12. zinger92 - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Sixers would be stupid not to trade for him. He’d be our starting 2 guard (because we don’t have one) and we can re-sign him to be our solid 6th man/backup PG for the future and he’ll grow with the youngest team in the league. Philly would love this guy, and also the overseas jersey sales!

• zinger92 - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM

wrong thread my bad.

13. officialgame - Jul 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Oliadipo was drafted number 2, played in the league last season and was being covered by a rookie who was 7″ shorter. He still turned the ball over and let the rook put up 16 on him. He also was out of control and acted like a baby. Do you even watch basketball? Noel’s debut on the other hand was impressive. He has a lot to learn but the talent was on display.

14. officialgame - Jul 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM

To many bigs? Did you ever watch the Spurs with Robinson and Duncan? Nobody is getting traded and that includes MCW. They will add scoring at the appropriate time and will have Saric in two years. Sam Hinkie knows what he is doing.

15. phillyphannn83 - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Crow anyone???

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches