Jul 5, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Nerlens Noel sat out all of last season after he was selected with the sixth overall pick in the 2013 draft by the Pelicans, and then traded to the Sixers that very same night.
Noel was projected to go as high as number one overall, before injury concerns set in and teams feared that he wouldn’t be able to contribute during his rookie season — much like Joel Embiid, who Philadelphia similarly selected this year.
But taking the long view seems to have paid off for the Sixers, if Noel’s Summer League debut is any indication. The big man showcased a variety of skills on both ends of the floor, and finished with a team-high 19 points on 6-of-11 shooting, to go along with two rebounds, three assists, four steals and a blocked shot in a little more than 26 minutes of action. He also converted all seven of his attempts from the free throw line.
Noel has been 100 percent for months now, so his strong showing shouldn’t come as a total surprise. He’s still raw in many areas, but showed a nice touch on his shot, an ability to get out in transition, strong footwork and a good defensive instinct around the basket.
Noel talked about his debut afterward, and his remarks can be seen in the video clip below courtesy of Basketball Insiders.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3