Jul 4, 2014, 2:21 AM EDT
What the Rockets could really use is a stretch four, one who can pull a big out of the paint to limit help on Dwight Howard in the post or make it a much longer rotation to slow a James Harden drive. Carmelo Anthony can certainly do that, plus create his own shot, however the feeling is more and more when ‘Melo announces his decision ned week he is going to stay in New York.
Who might be just as good a fit is Chris Bosh.
Not only is he a big who can space the floor with his jumper he’s as good a pick-and-roll defending big as there is in the NBA (something Anthony is not, to put it kindly).
So if they miss out on Anthony the Rockets are going to go after Bosh, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com on Thursday night that the Rockets — while still holding out hope that Anthony will choose them after hosting him Wednesday in Houston — have already let Bosh know how interested they are in bringing the Dallas native back to Texas…
Most league observers continue to believe that Heat president Pat Riley will ultimately convince all three Heat stars to re-up by next week, even if Bosh and Wade are forced to take pay cuts.
But sources say the Rockets are determined to test Bosh’s resolve in the event Anthony elects to return to the New York Knicks or to choose one of his other three primary suitors this week.
Bosh is not looking to leave Miami — he told PBT during the Finals he is both personally and professionally happy as a member of the Heat. If LeBron returns expect Bosh to take a pay cut to return (although he reportedly would like five years, $90 million).
However, if Pat Riley can’t improve the roster and LeBron does decide to look around, Bosh will have options as well. Houston is just one of them (the Lakers
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 22
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 18
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80