Jul 4, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony reportedly plans to take the weekend to choose his destination in free agency, but this really sounds like a done deal.
As many expected lately, Melo seems seems set to re-sign with the Knicks.
All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony probed New York Knicks management on the franchise’s plan to restore a contending roster and left his final free-agency meeting largely aligned with president Phil Jackson’s vision, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
In the meeting that included general manager Steve Mills, Jackson dispelled doubts that he was indifferent about Anthony staying with the Knicks, sources said. New York officials have made it clear to Anthony that they need him on the roster to have a chance to attract star players in free agency, sources said. After a week of franchises fawning over him during recruiting trips to Chicago, Houston, Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers, Anthony needed to hear that enthusiasm out of the Knicks’ top management
That’s all well and good, but the Knicks offering Melo a max contract surely played a huge part in the decision. Jackson and the Knicks’ public desire to shake up a faulty roster just gives Melo cover to take the money without saying he’s only in it for the money.
No matter what Jackson has in mind, the previous regime left him a mess. He’ll be hard-pressed to make the Knicks much better next season.
Maybe Melo is cool with a lost year if the future looks bright – and that would be, at best, the bargain he’s taking. Or maybe he just wants the money and stability of staying in New York.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30