Jul 4, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
The general feeling around the league is LeBron James still isn’t going anywhere. He ultimately will not leave Miami. That at the end of the day everything he is doing is to put pressure on Pat Riley to improve the Heat roster, and fast. Riley and coach Eric Spoelstra were in Los Angeles talking to free agents Thursday (including Pau Gasol) but this early in the process it’s hard to talk players into discounts.
However, if those roster improvements don’t come, LeBron will have options.
Those will include the Lakers — Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak is flying to Cleveland to meet with LeBron’s agent, reports Chris Broussard and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
LeBron’s agent already met with representatives of the Rockets, Mavericks, Cavaliers and Suns. If LeBron gets serious the Lakers and Knicks will want into that conversation.
While all this has been going on, LeBron has been on vacation with his family. He will wait a while longer, then maybe meet with other teams if the Heat have yet to really secure any additions to the roster.
The pressure is on Riley now. LeBron’s agent simply laying a foundation, just in case.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18