Jul 4, 2014, 1:30 AM EST
The general feeling around the league is LeBron James still isn’t going anywhere. He ultimately will not leave Miami. That at the end of the day everything he is doing is to put pressure on Pat Riley to improve the Heat roster, and fast. Riley and coach Eric Spoelstra were in Los Angeles talking to free agents Thursday (including Pau Gasol) but this early in the process it’s hard to talk players into discounts.
However, if those roster improvements don’t come, LeBron will have options.
Those will include the Lakers — Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak is flying to Cleveland to meet with LeBron’s agent, reports Chris Broussard and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
LeBron’s agent already met with representatives of the Rockets, Mavericks, Cavaliers and Suns. If LeBron gets serious the Lakers and Knicks will want into that conversation.
While all this has been going on, LeBron has been on vacation with his family. He will wait a while longer, then maybe meet with other teams if the Heat have yet to really secure any additions to the roster.
The pressure is on Riley now. LeBron’s agent simply laying a foundation, just in case.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0