Jul 4, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
The general feeling around the league is LeBron James still isn’t going anywhere. He ultimately will not leave Miami. That at the end of the day everything he is doing is to put pressure on Pat Riley to improve the Heat roster, and fast. Riley and coach Eric Spoelstra were in Los Angeles talking to free agents Thursday (including Pau Gasol) but this early in the process it’s hard to talk players into discounts.
However, if those roster improvements don’t come, LeBron will have options.
Those will include the Lakers — Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak is flying to Cleveland to meet with LeBron’s agent, reports Chris Broussard and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
LeBron’s agent already met with representatives of the Rockets, Mavericks, Cavaliers and Suns. If LeBron gets serious the Lakers and Knicks will want into that conversation.
While all this has been going on, LeBron has been on vacation with his family. He will wait a while longer, then maybe meet with other teams if the Heat have yet to really secure any additions to the roster.
The pressure is on Riley now. LeBron’s agent simply laying a foundation, just in case.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 1
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 25
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19