Jul 4, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
This Grantland video is a really fascinating look inside the Kings’ NBA draft war room – including the presence of an amateur analytics team.
Among the highlights:
- Kings general manager Pete D’Alessandro was convinced the Cavs would take Jabari Parker No. 1. Sacramento owner Vivek Ranadive is very high on Andrew Wiggins.
- The crowd-sourced analytics rankings had Noah Vonleh No. 3 and Elfrid Payton ahead of Nik Stauskas due to fit with the defensively deficient Kings. Both Vonleh and Payton were on the board when Sacramento selected Stauskas at No. 8.
- The 76ers offered No. 10 and two second rounders for No. 8. Obviously, the Kings passed, and I think that was probably wise. My guess: Philadelphia would have taken Vonleh, and the Hornets at No. 9 very well could have taken Stauskas.
- The Kings actually did explore trading up to draft Joel Embiid.
- There’s a surprising amount of deliberation – i.e., more than none – about Stauskas and Payton when the Kings are on the clock.
- Ranadive leads a very awkward “Nik rocks!” cheer for Stauskas over the phone.
Here’s the first video of the series, which aired before the draft and features more details about the Kings plan to crowd-source their analytics. An interview with Kings coach Michael Malone foreshadows the eventual Stauskas selection:
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 3
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44