Jul 3, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Thabo Sefolosha fell apart with the Thunder last season. For five years he had been a starter with the Oklahoma City Thunder, the guy doing some of the defensive dirty work so Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook could do their thing.
Then the “3-and-D” guy lost his shot — just 31.6 percent from three last season. He averaged 7.6 points a game and by the playoffs had lost his starting spot to Caron Butler.
Is Sefolosha fading and fading fast, or is he primed for one of those Spurs-like rejuvenation projects? Put him in the right system, use him in ways he’s comfortable and suddenly he’s back to his vintage self?
Mike Budenholzer and the Atlanta Hawks are betting on the latter (and betting a little bigger than maybe they had to) — the Hawks and Sefolosha reached terms on a deal. Shams Charania of Real GM broke the story:
Then it was confirmed, by a media member and Kevin Durant.
I like the idea of gamble. First, the Hawks had just DeMarre Carroll at the three. Second, this is the kind of gamble you take to build a Spurs-like empire in Atlanta.
But at $4 million a year? I would have thought the Hawks could have gotten him for three years, $9 million or less. Just because you have cap space doesn’t mean you need to spend it.
If Sefolosha bounces back, that’s a pretty fair contract the Hawks got him on.
But that’s a big if.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6