Jul 3, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Thabo Sefolosha fell apart with the Thunder last season. For five years he had been a starter with the Oklahoma City Thunder, the guy doing some of the defensive dirty work so Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook could do their thing.
Then the “3-and-D” guy lost his shot — just 31.6 percent from three last season. He averaged 7.6 points a game and by the playoffs had lost his starting spot to Caron Butler.
Is Sefolosha fading and fading fast, or is he primed for one of those Spurs-like rejuvenation projects? Put him in the right system, use him in ways he’s comfortable and suddenly he’s back to his vintage self?
Mike Budenholzer and the Atlanta Hawks are betting on the latter (and betting a little bigger than maybe they had to) — the Hawks and Sefolosha reached terms on a deal. Shams Charania of Real GM broke the story:
Then it was confirmed, by a media member and Kevin Durant.
The Hawks have agreed to a 3-year, $12 million deal with Thabo Sefolosha, sources confirm. RealGM reported first.—
Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) July 03, 2014
I like the idea of gamble. First, the Hawks had just DeMarre Carroll at the three. Second, this is the kind of gamble you take to build a Spurs-like empire in Atlanta.
But at $4 million a year? I would have thought the Hawks could have gotten him for three years, $9 million or less. Just because you have cap space doesn’t mean you need to spend it.
If Sefolosha bounces back, that’s a pretty fair contract the Hawks got him on.
But that’s a big if.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 19
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54