Jul 3, 2014, 9:14 AM EDT
Sebastian Telfair, once a lottery pick straight out of high school, played in China last season. Prior, he played for eight teams (including two separate stints with the Timberwolves) in eight NBA seasons.
At age 29, he appeared finished in the NBA.
But not only is he returning to the league, he’s joining a contender that might offer substantial playing time.
The free agent point guard and Oklahoma City Thunder have reached an agreement, league sources informed CSNNW.com.
According to sources that requested to remain anonymous, the terms agreed to is for one-year at the veteran’s minimum
Oklahoma City already has a starting point guard (Russell Westbrook) and a backup point guard (Reggie Jackson), but with free agent Thabo Sefolosha’s clear departure, Jackson could move regularly into the starting backcourt. He already replaced Sefolosha during the Western Conference Finals.
That would leave a backup point guard spot open with Telfair the most logical choice – as of now – to fill it.
The Thunder already have 11 players under contract, two first-round picks (Mitch McGary and Josh Heustis), a qualifying offer out to Grant Jerrett and a mid-level exception that could draw Pau Gasol.
With such a crowded roster and a limit of 15 players once the season begins, that tells me either Telfair’s contract is unguaranteed – which would mean more point guards could be on the their way to Oklahoma City – or Thunder have more moves up their sleeve.
Waiving Hasheem Thabeet, whose contract is fully unguaranteed, would be a good start. Pulling Jerrett’s qualifying offer, if he’s not smart enough to accept quickly, could be another step.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9