Jul 3, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
For all their stated stability, the Pacers are veering toward a shakeup.
But maybe Larry Bird would make a bold move to radically change the team’s makeup. Getting Goran Dragic would certainly qualify.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
That’s a rather ominous “yet,” isn’t it?
I just can’t see it foretelling an actual trade.
Dragic is an excellent player, and the Pacers could definite improve at point guard. With Paul George the franchise player, David West entrenched and Stephenson still in the air, George Hill is definitely upgradable.
I have to think the Pacers want to build a deal around Roy Hibbert – a worse player on a worse contract than Dragic. That could clear the room to re-sign Stephenson, but it’s difficult to see the Suns going for the deal. Beyond the barely desirable Solomon Hill, Indiana lacks young assets to sweeten the deal. The Pacers have all their own future first rounders, but those are slated for the 20s for the foreseeable future and don’t hold much value.
I wouldn’t read too much into the Pacers’ play for Dragic.
I would read a littlie into their desire to do something bold.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18