Jul 3, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
For all their stated stability, the Pacers are veering toward a shakeup.
But maybe Larry Bird would make a bold move to radically change the team’s makeup. Getting Goran Dragic would certainly qualify.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
That’s a rather ominous “yet,” isn’t it?
I just can’t see it foretelling an actual trade.
Dragic is an excellent player, and the Pacers could definite improve at point guard. With Paul George the franchise player, David West entrenched and Stephenson still in the air, George Hill is definitely upgradable.
I have to think the Pacers want to build a deal around Roy Hibbert – a worse player on a worse contract than Dragic. That could clear the room to re-sign Stephenson, but it’s difficult to see the Suns going for the deal. Beyond the barely desirable Solomon Hill, Indiana lacks young assets to sweeten the deal. The Pacers have all their own future first rounders, but those are slated for the 20s for the foreseeable future and don’t hold much value.
I wouldn’t read too much into the Pacers’ play for Dragic.
I would read a littlie into their desire to do something bold.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 6
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 15
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18