Jul 3, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
For all their stated stability, the Pacers are veering toward a shakeup.
But maybe Larry Bird would make a bold move to radically change the team’s makeup. Getting Goran Dragic would certainly qualify.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
That’s a rather ominous “yet,” isn’t it?
I just can’t see it foretelling an actual trade.
Dragic is an excellent player, and the Pacers could definite improve at point guard. With Paul George the franchise player, David West entrenched and Stephenson still in the air, George Hill is definitely upgradable.
I have to think the Pacers want to build a deal around Roy Hibbert – a worse player on a worse contract than Dragic. That could clear the room to re-sign Stephenson, but it’s difficult to see the Suns going for the deal. Beyond the barely desirable Solomon Hill, Indiana lacks young assets to sweeten the deal. The Pacers have all their own future first rounders, but those are slated for the 20s for the foreseeable future and don’t hold much value.
I wouldn’t read too much into the Pacers’ play for Dragic.
I would read a littlie into their desire to do something bold.
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 0
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 26
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 22
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26