Jul 3, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
For all their stated stability, the Pacers are veering toward a shakeup.
But maybe Larry Bird would make a bold move to radically change the team’s makeup. Getting Goran Dragic would certainly qualify.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
That’s a rather ominous “yet,” isn’t it?
I just can’t see it foretelling an actual trade.
Dragic is an excellent player, and the Pacers could definite improve at point guard. With Paul George the franchise player, David West entrenched and Stephenson still in the air, George Hill is definitely upgradable.
I have to think the Pacers want to build a deal around Roy Hibbert – a worse player on a worse contract than Dragic. That could clear the room to re-sign Stephenson, but it’s difficult to see the Suns going for the deal. Beyond the barely desirable Solomon Hill, Indiana lacks young assets to sweeten the deal. The Pacers have all their own future first rounders, but those are slated for the 20s for the foreseeable future and don’t hold much value.
I wouldn’t read too much into the Pacers’ play for Dragic.
I would read a littlie into their desire to do something bold.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0