Jul 3, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
The only question around Dirk Nowitzki’s return to the Dallas Mavericks was “how much?”
The “will he” part was never in doubt. In the least. The guy was in the room as part of Dallas’ pitch to free agent Carmelo Anthony.
The question was money. Nowitzki said during the season he would take a pay cut to help the team have money to go after more free agents like ‘Melo.
How much? About $10 million a year, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
Nowitzki basically confirmed this.
(Mavs Fan For Life.)
Nowitzki can’t actually put pen to paper until the signing moratorium ends July 10. The the deal is done.
With Dirk at $10 million the Mavericks would have $16,467,804 to sign someone (if they renounce all their free agents, such as Shawn Marion), according to our own Dan Feldman. That’s not likely to land them Anthony, but it can add some quality to a roster that did take the Spurs to seven games in the first round.
This is likely the last contract for the 36-year-old future Hall of Famer. Even though he has 17 years on a bunch of the guys just drafted he remains as versatile and lethal a scorer as there is in the league. Last season he averaged 21.7 points a game with a ridiculous true shooting percentage of .603. He shot 39.8 percent from three, has good footwork, hits off-balance shots as well as anyone in the league, and if he gets the ball at the elbow the defender is toast (everybody copies the one-legged fade away).
Nowitzki’s $10 million figure is about what fellow Texas NBA legend Tim Duncan took to give the Spurs some flexibility. Nowitzki can only hope it works out as well.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9