Jul 3, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:45 pm: It’s hard to say no to that kind of money.
Kurt Rambis has accepted the job as Derek Fisher’s lead assistant, bringing the triangle offense to New York, reports Ian Begley at ESPNNewYork.com.
Rambis has head coaching experience as well as having been an assistant under Phil Jackson, and last season with Mike D’Antoni in New York (although he may try to repress those memories). Just having someone who has done the job before and knows some of the rhythm of it will help Fisher.
10:45 am: The cost of hiring a coach is going up. Fast. There are plenty in the coaching community rankled by the fact Derek Fisher and Steve Kerr each got five-year, $25 million coaching contracts without ever having done the job before. It is driving up the price of coaches everywhere.
Including assistant coaches. Last year Lawrence Frank got big money to piss off Jason Kidd (apparently), now this summer the Cavaliers gave Tyronn Lue $1.6 million a year to help David Blatt adjust to the NBA. The Warriors nearly doubled Alvin Gentry’s salary (north of $800,000) to move him from the right hand of Doc Rivers to the right hand of Steve Kerr.
Now the Knicks are going big to get Kurt Rambis to move across the country and help out Derek Fisher, reports the New York Post.
The Knicks have made Lakers coaching candidate Kurt Rambis a four-year offer of roughly $1.2 million per year to be rookie coach Derek Fisher’s top assistant, according to an NBA source….
Rambis, a triangle guru and Lakers assistant last season, remains in the mix for the Lakers’ head-coaching vacancy and still is mulling a cross-country move to New York.
Rambis is in the mix for the Lakers head coaching spot in the same way Denzel Washington is — unless a star free agent specifically requested him that job is going to someone else. And nobody is requesting him. Plus, as the Lakers still want to land Kevin Love hiring Rambis is a poor idea (those two clashed in Minnesota when Rambis limited Love’s minutes).
Rambis just has to decide if he really wants to pack up and move to New York or not. He likely would have television and other options in Los Angeles, but not for near that money.
Other potential Knicks assistant coaches could be Jim Cleamons, Bill Cartwright and Rick Fox.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23