Jul 3, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
LeBron James reportedly was frustrated that the Miami Heat amnestied floor-spacing shooter Mike Miller in a money saving move last summer. (Pat Riley can try to spin that however he wants, the move was to save money.)
Miami’s free agent search has turned to replacing that shooting with Anthony Morrow, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
But the Heat are not the only contenders looking at him.
Name of one target Miami is trying to secure for LeBron has emerged: Sources say Heat making push for perimeter specialist Anthony Morrow—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 03, 2014
Morrow shot 45.1 percent from three last season, he does that exceedingly well. He’s not going to give you much else, but the one thing he can give is something both Miami and Oklahoma City could use more consistently.
Oh, and he’s affordable, having made just $1 million last year.
Which goes back to one of the fun guessing games around the league: How much money does Pat Riley really have to spend? Early reports suggested a fair amount, but his actions are suggesting numbers not so grand.
Pat Riley is looking for bargains. Morrow is one. If the Bulls amnesty Carlos Boozer he could be another. Expect a few other players to slip through the cracks and Riley to grab them. But with the cap system and three stars earning eight digits each already (even if they take pay cuts) it’s going to be hard to bring in the Kyle Lowry/Pau Gasol kind of free agents.
Which of course leads to the “how does LeBron feel about that?” question.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11