Jul 3, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
LeBron James reportedly was frustrated that the Miami Heat amnestied floor-spacing shooter Mike Miller in a money saving move last summer. (Pat Riley can try to spin that however he wants, the move was to save money.)
Miami’s free agent search has turned to replacing that shooting with Anthony Morrow, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
But the Heat are not the only contenders looking at him.
Morrow shot 45.1 percent from three last season, he does that exceedingly well. He’s not going to give you much else, but the one thing he can give is something both Miami and Oklahoma City could use more consistently.
Oh, and he’s affordable, having made just $1 million last year.
Which goes back to one of the fun guessing games around the league: How much money does Pat Riley really have to spend? Early reports suggested a fair amount, but his actions are suggesting numbers not so grand.
Pat Riley is looking for bargains. Morrow is one. If the Bulls amnesty Carlos Boozer he could be another. Expect a few other players to slip through the cracks and Riley to grab them. But with the cap system and three stars earning eight digits each already (even if they take pay cuts) it’s going to be hard to bring in the Kyle Lowry/Pau Gasol kind of free agents.
Which of course leads to the “how does LeBron feel about that?” question.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12