Jul 3, 2014, 4:29 PM EST
LeBron James reportedly was frustrated that the Miami Heat amnestied floor-spacing shooter Mike Miller in a money saving move last summer. (Pat Riley can try to spin that however he wants, the move was to save money.)
Miami’s free agent search has turned to replacing that shooting with Anthony Morrow, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
But the Heat are not the only contenders looking at him.
Morrow shot 45.1 percent from three last season, he does that exceedingly well. He’s not going to give you much else, but the one thing he can give is something both Miami and Oklahoma City could use more consistently.
Oh, and he’s affordable, having made just $1 million last year.
Which goes back to one of the fun guessing games around the league: How much money does Pat Riley really have to spend? Early reports suggested a fair amount, but his actions are suggesting numbers not so grand.
Pat Riley is looking for bargains. Morrow is one. If the Bulls amnesty Carlos Boozer he could be another. Expect a few other players to slip through the cracks and Riley to grab them. But with the cap system and three stars earning eight digits each already (even if they take pay cuts) it’s going to be hard to bring in the Kyle Lowry/Pau Gasol kind of free agents.
Which of course leads to the “how does LeBron feel about that?” question.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 2
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 13
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41