Jul 3, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Right now these talks are preliminary, because if LeBron James decides to leave Miami the Clippers want in that discussion with all their available weapons (they would have to do a sign-and-trade). Nobody around the league thinks LeBron bolting South Beach is likely, but such is the power and draw of LeBron that even a hint he could come has slowed the free agent market waiting for that domino to fall.
However, the Clippers and Nets have had preliminary talks about a sign-and-trade that would re-unite Paul Pierce and his former coach Doc Rivers, reports Ramona Shelburne and Ohm Youngmisuk at ESPN.
And while the Clippers could simply sign Pierce as a free agent using their midlevel exception at $5.3 million, they are interested in pursuing sign-and-trade scenarios that would allow Brooklyn to get something in return for the 10-time All-Star and because the Clippers already have so many small forwards….
Jamal Crawford also could be in that mix.
Pierce was firmly in the Jason Kidd camp in Brooklyn and with Kidd now actually having to develop players in Milwaukee it is unclear how Pierce — or Kevin Garnett — feel about the old-school Lionel Hollins coming in as coach. He can leave as a free agent, but he can get more money from the Clippers via a sign-and-trade. Plus the Nets would get something back in return.
Improving at the three and adding depth to the front line are two of the Clippers big off-season priorities (as well as re-signing Darren Collison or landing another quality backup point guard).
The Clippers brought in Jared Dudley play the three last year but the previously solid jack-of-all-trades player struggled to fit in Rivers’ system and his efficiency (and needed three point shooting) fell off. The Clippers are on the hunt for a replacement and Rivers the GM likes to go to players that either played well for him before or played well against him in the past. Pierce certainly fits that mold, and even at age 37 the crafty veteran small forward can get you some buckets (and would find it easier in Los Angles where Chris Paul and Blake Griffin would draw the attention of defenses).
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. But he liked what LeBron did. 10
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 38
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 70