Jul 3, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony’s free agency tour had planned stops in Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Los Angeles. The Knicks also believed they’d get the final meeting.
That leaves only the Knicks.
Chris Broussard of ESPN:
This sounds like a bit of a power play on Melo’s part, forcing the Knicks to fly across the country when he toured every other city.
But maybe Phil Jackson is already in Los Angeles. Remember, when the Knicks hired Jackson, a big topic was how much time he’d spend in New York rather than California.
The only drawback for Jackson and co. is they can no longer Photoshop Melo into a Knicks jersey on the Madison Square Garden marquee. I heard that was going to be their big pitch.
Really, Melo already knows what the Knicks offer. Because they had him under contract, he met with them before free agency began. I doubt much has changed since.
Melo originally planned to decide on a team by the second week of the month, but this could accelerate the plan.
Chris Herring of The Wall Street Journal:
Soon, this process will end, and the NBA can stop waiting on Melo and LeBron James.
It can wait on only LeBron.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 2
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 3
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8