Jul 3, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony’s free agency tour had planned stops in Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Los Angeles. The Knicks also believed they’d get the final meeting.
That leaves only the Knicks.
Chris Broussard of ESPN:
This sounds like a bit of a power play on Melo’s part, forcing the Knicks to fly across the country when he toured every other city.
But maybe Phil Jackson is already in Los Angeles. Remember, when the Knicks hired Jackson, a big topic was how much time he’d spend in New York rather than California.
The only drawback for Jackson and co. is they can no longer Photoshop Melo into a Knicks jersey on the Madison Square Garden marquee. I heard that was going to be their big pitch.
Really, Melo already knows what the Knicks offer. Because they had him under contract, he met with them before free agency began. I doubt much has changed since.
Melo originally planned to decide on a team by the second week of the month, but this could accelerate the plan.
Chris Herring of The Wall Street Journal:
Soon, this process will end, and the NBA can stop waiting on Melo and LeBron James.
It can wait on only LeBron.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 3
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 8
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 55
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 12