Toyota Center marquee in Houston shows ‘Melo wearing Rockets No. 7, which currently belongs to Jeremy Lin
Jul 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
The difference in Houston, however, was that the No. 7 jersey they had Anthony wearing just happens to belong to a player currently under contract with the Rockets.
The Rockets will host Carmelo Anthony and have pictures of Carmelo in Rockets uniforms on Toyota Center marquis pic.twitter.com/2VfycvqlkN
— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) July 2, 2014
— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) July 2, 2014
Jeremy Lin is on the books for one more year in Houston at a little more than $8.3 million, but his deal is likely the next to go if in fact the Rockets can convince Anthony (or another high-profile free agent) to sign.
Teams tend to go out of their way not to do anything to offend the players currently on the roster. While this is a minor misstep that’s ultimately harmless, Lin probably isn’t feeling great about his place in Houston’s plans for the future.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 46
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23