Toyota Center marquee in Houston shows ‘Melo wearing Rockets No. 7, which currently belongs to Jeremy Lin
Jul 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
The difference in Houston, however, was that the No. 7 jersey they had Anthony wearing just happens to belong to a player currently under contract with the Rockets.
The Rockets will host Carmelo Anthony and have pictures of Carmelo in Rockets uniforms on Toyota Center marquis pic.twitter.com/2VfycvqlkN
— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) July 2, 2014
— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) July 2, 2014
Jeremy Lin is on the books for one more year in Houston at a little more than $8.3 million, but his deal is likely the next to go if in fact the Rockets can convince Anthony (or another high-profile free agent) to sign.
Teams tend to go out of their way not to do anything to offend the players currently on the roster. While this is a minor misstep that’s ultimately harmless, Lin probably isn’t feeling great about his place in Houston’s plans for the future.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6