Toyota Center marquee in Houston shows ‘Melo wearing Rockets No. 7, which currently belongs to Jeremy Lin
Jul 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
The difference in Houston, however, was that the No. 7 jersey they had Anthony wearing just happens to belong to a player currently under contract with the Rockets.
The Rockets will host Carmelo Anthony and have pictures of Carmelo in Rockets uniforms on Toyota Center marquis pic.twitter.com/2VfycvqlkN
— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) July 2, 2014
— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) July 2, 2014
Jeremy Lin is on the books for one more year in Houston at a little more than $8.3 million, but his deal is likely the next to go if in fact the Rockets can convince Anthony (or another high-profile free agent) to sign.
Teams tend to go out of their way not to do anything to offend the players currently on the roster. While this is a minor misstep that’s ultimately harmless, Lin probably isn’t feeling great about his place in Houston’s plans for the future.
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6