Jul 2, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT
The Bulls might have three stars next season.
Or they might have none.
Joakim Noah finished fourth in MVP voting – definitely the accomplishment of a star. But the 29-year-old was never even an All-Star before 2013. A little regression, due to age and/or toward the mean, could pull him below star status.
Derrick Rose was a superstar before injuries derailed his incredibly promising career. Hopefully, nearly two full years off will have him healthy, but there’s no guarantee he has regained the explosiveness that made him so effective.
Carmelo Anthony is definitely a star, but unlike Noah and Rose, he’s not under contract with the Bulls. He’s considering signing with Chicago, though, and visited the city yesterday. His free-agent decision might be influenced by the odds Rose returns to star status.
While at the United Center, sources say that Rose went through a private workout to show Anthony that he’s healthy and ready to compete at a high level next season.
Rose is reportedly already healthy enough to play games, and he might play for Team USA in the World Cup. Soon enough, we’ll have a clearer picture of Rose’s health.
But Melo plans to sign before then, so he needed a preview. No word on how Rose looked to him, but Chicago has insisted Rose’s health wouldn’t deter free agents.
Whether the Bulls add a star in Melo might hinge on whether they re-gain a star in Rose.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 52
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6