Jul 2, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
When word came down this week that Patty Mills was going to be out seven months following shoulder surgery — not returning to the court next season until the calendar flips to 2015 — his free agency value took a hit.
The likelihood that he would return to the Spurs skyrocketed.
That’s exactly what has happened. Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express News broke the story.
The deal is for around $12 million over three years
Mills told PBT during the Finals it really took about two years of being on this team until he understood how to play within it — this season he had fully blossomed in that system and become a key contributor as the backup to Tony Parker.
“Everyone knows it’s a different place here than everywhere else and it definitely takes some getting used to,” Mills said of the San Antonio offensive system. “The first two years (in San Antonio) where I didn’t play a whole lot I still really believe I got better as a player, mentally more than anything. I’m really able to let it all go in that system now.
Mills is lightning quick and it was getting him to rein in his shoot-first instincts that was hard part (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Mills conditioning was vastly improved this past season, also). Now he’s a part of the Spurs system that works well, and he’ll be with the team at least three more years.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10