Jul 2, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
When word came down this week that Patty Mills was going to be out seven months following shoulder surgery — not returning to the court next season until the calendar flips to 2015 — his free agency value took a hit.
The likelihood that he would return to the Spurs skyrocketed.
That’s exactly what has happened. Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express News broke the story.
The deal is for around $12 million over three years
Mills told PBT during the Finals it really took about two years of being on this team until he understood how to play within it — this season he had fully blossomed in that system and become a key contributor as the backup to Tony Parker.
“Everyone knows it’s a different place here than everywhere else and it definitely takes some getting used to,” Mills said of the San Antonio offensive system. “The first two years (in San Antonio) where I didn’t play a whole lot I still really believe I got better as a player, mentally more than anything. I’m really able to let it all go in that system now.
Mills is lightning quick and it was getting him to rein in his shoot-first instincts that was hard part (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Mills conditioning was vastly improved this past season, also). Now he’s a part of the Spurs system that works well, and he’ll be with the team at least three more years.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31