Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Good news and bad news for the Raptors.
Good news: Lowry hasn’t signed with the Heat (or Rockets).
Bad news: He hasn’t signed with Toronto, either.
Both doors remain open, though one seems to be opening as the other closes.
Miami president Pat Riley has been pushing for a sit-down meeting with Lowry, but Lowry is taking time on Tuesday afternoon to consider his next step in the process.
Nevertheless, the Miami stars haven’t been active in recruiting Lowry, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Lowry has long been enthusiastic about returning to the Raptors, and nothing has happened in free agency to derail that momentum, sources said.
David Aldridge of NBA.com:
LeBron James won’t even meet with other teams personally. Chris Bosh is on vacation. It sounds as if they and Dwyane Wade are really leaving to Pat Riley to address the roster.
I’d think the big three would have more of a vested interested in recruiting their teammates, and Lowry is the best reasonably likely addition possible. Miami could definitely use a point guard who defends actively, knocks down spot-up 3-pointers and can take control of the offense when necessary.
The Raptors must feel relieved Lowry is rejected the Heat’s (limited) overtures, but they also surely wanted this resolved by now. As long as Lowry keeps waiting, anything can happen, but Toronto should be favored to retain its top player.
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 0
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25