Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Good news and bad news for the Raptors.
Good news: Lowry hasn’t signed with the Heat (or Rockets).
Bad news: He hasn’t signed with Toronto, either.
Both doors remain open, though one seems to be opening as the other closes.
Miami president Pat Riley has been pushing for a sit-down meeting with Lowry, but Lowry is taking time on Tuesday afternoon to consider his next step in the process.
Nevertheless, the Miami stars haven’t been active in recruiting Lowry, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Lowry has long been enthusiastic about returning to the Raptors, and nothing has happened in free agency to derail that momentum, sources said.
David Aldridge of NBA.com:
Kyle Lowry told Raptors today he'll take a few days to make up his mind. TOR still confident: "he knows us, and we know him," a source said.—
David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) July 02, 2014
LeBron James won’t even meet with other teams personally. Chris Bosh is on vacation. It sounds as if they and Dwyane Wade are really leaving to Pat Riley to address the roster.
I’d think the big three would have more of a vested interested in recruiting their teammates, and Lowry is the best reasonably likely addition possible. Miami could definitely use a point guard who defends actively, knocks down spot-up 3-pointers and can take control of the offense when necessary.
The Raptors must feel relieved Lowry is rejected the Heat’s (limited) overtures, but they also surely wanted this resolved by now. As long as Lowry keeps waiting, anything can happen, but Toronto should be favored to retain its top player.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 8
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73