Jul 2, 2014, 8:45 AM EST
He has laid low and unlike people considering moving on — for example Carmelo Anthony — he has had zero contact with teams. He opted out to put pressure on the Heat organization to upgrade the roster — on owner Micky Arison to spend the money and Pat Riley to go get the talent. Riley is trying to do that, having spoken to Pau Gasol among others. Once some free agents are signed LeBron, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade are expected to all re-sign in Miami.
However, LeBron’s agent is still going through the free agent motions. Just in case.
LeBron is keeping his head down and the only place he is going is to Brazil in the next couple weeks to see some World Cup action. Still, his agent may meet with a few teams, reports Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.
There could be others. The Rockets and Mavericks are not surprises on this list, those two teams are clearly big game hunting (meeting with ‘Melo as well). The Suns are a sneaky interesting team with a quality roster of role players just in need of a start to contend. Of course, all three of those teams are in the stacked Western Conference.
This is simply LeBron’s agent laying the ground work in case the Heat fail to upgrade the roster. Only then would LeBron actually meet with teams. He learned some lessons from the PR disaster that was his 2010 free agency and that starts with “don’t have teams come to meet you and kiss the ring.” If he does meet with teams it will be a much quicker, much more quiet process this time around.
But nobody around the league thinks it’s going to come to that. LeBron is going to re-sign in Miami and teams that had dreams of landing him are seeing the light. Brian Windhorst of ESPN put it this way.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28