Jul 2, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony had his first free agent meeting with the Bulls on Tuesday, a place that would seem to be at the top of his list if winning now while playing in one of the nation’s biggest markets is indeed the priority.
Next up is Houston, and while it doesn’t offer the same exposure as playing in New York or Chicago could provide, it does have two All-Star players firmly in place who could certainly help Anthony rack up plenty of victories.
One of those players is reportedly very interested in securing Anthony’s services.
Howard, according to sources, is eager to pitch Anthony on the Rockets. Sources say Howard was trying to track down Anthony’s cell phone number to contact him directly to make a pitch over the phone. It is unclear if the two connected, but Howard is believed to be enamored with the idea of playing alongside Anthony.
“He really wants to sell him on Houston,” a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said. “He wants Carmelo there badly.”
It’s just difficult to see how that would be the case.
The Rockets are doing the right thing by attempting to assemble a roster full of proven stars, but adding Anthony would be more like a fantasy basketball move than one that truly fits the team’s needs. Houston would have too many holes at other positions if it was able to create the cap space to sign Anthony to a four-year max deal that he would certainly require, and as badly as Howard may want to add an elite scorer to the roster, it’s tough to see Anthony choosing the Rockets over a Bulls team that’s more properly constructed, and better-suited to contend for a title with Anthony in place.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80