Jul 2, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony had his first free agent meeting with the Bulls on Tuesday, a place that would seem to be at the top of his list if winning now while playing in one of the nation’s biggest markets is indeed the priority.
Next up is Houston, and while it doesn’t offer the same exposure as playing in New York or Chicago could provide, it does have two All-Star players firmly in place who could certainly help Anthony rack up plenty of victories.
One of those players is reportedly very interested in securing Anthony’s services.
Howard, according to sources, is eager to pitch Anthony on the Rockets. Sources say Howard was trying to track down Anthony’s cell phone number to contact him directly to make a pitch over the phone. It is unclear if the two connected, but Howard is believed to be enamored with the idea of playing alongside Anthony.
“He really wants to sell him on Houston,” a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said. “He wants Carmelo there badly.”
It’s just difficult to see how that would be the case.
The Rockets are doing the right thing by attempting to assemble a roster full of proven stars, but adding Anthony would be more like a fantasy basketball move than one that truly fits the team’s needs. Houston would have too many holes at other positions if it was able to create the cap space to sign Anthony to a four-year max deal that he would certainly require, and as badly as Howard may want to add an elite scorer to the roster, it’s tough to see Anthony choosing the Rockets over a Bulls team that’s more properly constructed, and better-suited to contend for a title with Anthony in place.
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 0
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 9
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 22
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 4