Jul 2, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony had his first free agent meeting with the Bulls on Tuesday, a place that would seem to be at the top of his list if winning now while playing in one of the nation’s biggest markets is indeed the priority.
Next up is Houston, and while it doesn’t offer the same exposure as playing in New York or Chicago could provide, it does have two All-Star players firmly in place who could certainly help Anthony rack up plenty of victories.
One of those players is reportedly very interested in securing Anthony’s services.
Howard, according to sources, is eager to pitch Anthony on the Rockets. Sources say Howard was trying to track down Anthony’s cell phone number to contact him directly to make a pitch over the phone. It is unclear if the two connected, but Howard is believed to be enamored with the idea of playing alongside Anthony.
“He really wants to sell him on Houston,” a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said. “He wants Carmelo there badly.”
It’s just difficult to see how that would be the case.
The Rockets are doing the right thing by attempting to assemble a roster full of proven stars, but adding Anthony would be more like a fantasy basketball move than one that truly fits the team’s needs. Houston would have too many holes at other positions if it was able to create the cap space to sign Anthony to a four-year max deal that he would certainly require, and as badly as Howard may want to add an elite scorer to the roster, it’s tough to see Anthony choosing the Rockets over a Bulls team that’s more properly constructed, and better-suited to contend for a title with Anthony in place.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18