Jul 2, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Maybe, as Randle suspected, a team was trying to get him to slip to its pick. Or maybe different teams had different opinions about his foot.
Now it matters only what the Lakers, who drafted Randle No. 7, think – and they believe he’s fine.
The Lakers sent freshly minted draft pick Julius Randle to Indiana for a Wednesday appointment with renowned foot specialist Dr. David Porter, who determined that Randle does not need surgery on his foot.
Randle has been cleared for all basketball activity, and is expected to play for L.A.’s Summer League team in Las Vegas.
Randle joins future Hall of Famers Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash (and Robert Sacre) as the only Lakers with guaranteed contracts for next season. He’s also the Lakers’ highest pick since James Worthy went No. 1 in 1982.
There will be a lot of pressure on the rookie from Kentucky. It’s good he can get on the court immediately and begin proving himself.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18