Jul 2, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Maybe, as Randle suspected, a team was trying to get him to slip to its pick. Or maybe different teams had different opinions about his foot.
Now it matters only what the Lakers, who drafted Randle No. 7, think – and they believe he’s fine.
The Lakers sent freshly minted draft pick Julius Randle to Indiana for a Wednesday appointment with renowned foot specialist Dr. David Porter, who determined that Randle does not need surgery on his foot.
Randle has been cleared for all basketball activity, and is expected to play for L.A.’s Summer League team in Las Vegas.
Randle joins future Hall of Famers Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash (and Robert Sacre) as the only Lakers with guaranteed contracts for next season. He’s also the Lakers’ highest pick since James Worthy went No. 1 in 1982.
There will be a lot of pressure on the rookie from Kentucky. It’s good he can get on the court immediately and begin proving himself.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11