Jul 2, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Maybe, as Randle suspected, a team was trying to get him to slip to its pick. Or maybe different teams had different opinions about his foot.
Now it matters only what the Lakers, who drafted Randle No. 7, think – and they believe he’s fine.
The Lakers sent freshly minted draft pick Julius Randle to Indiana for a Wednesday appointment with renowned foot specialist Dr. David Porter, who determined that Randle does not need surgery on his foot.
Randle has been cleared for all basketball activity, and is expected to play for L.A.’s Summer League team in Las Vegas.
Randle joins future Hall of Famers Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash (and Robert Sacre) as the only Lakers with guaranteed contracts for next season. He’s also the Lakers’ highest pick since James Worthy went No. 1 in 1982.
There will be a lot of pressure on the rookie from Kentucky. It’s good he can get on the court immediately and begin proving himself.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40