Jul 2, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
When Carmelo Anthony arrived at the Toyota Center to get pitched by the Houston Rockets as a free agent, there were pictures of Anthony there holding the Larry O’Brien trophy and wearing a No. 7 Rockets’ jersey.
The jersey that Jeremy Lin still wears for the Rockets.
Which pretty much tells you who stands where on the pecking order in Houston. But did Jeremy Lin feel disrespected by that? Of course, but on twitter he tried to take the high road.
Luke 6:29 – If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them—
Jeremy Lin (@JLin7) July 02, 2014
There were reports that the Rockets let Lin know his number would be used, Lin’s agents denied this. As if any of that matters.
It’s not a secret to anyone that Jeremy Lin is on the trade block, in fact if Anthony chooses the Rockets (not likely) they reportedly have a deal already set up where they wouldn’t have to take any salary back. One way or another it’s likely Lin is wearing the No. 7 of another team at some point this year.
This is also far from the first time Lin has felt disrespected as a basketball player, it’s part of what makes him a compelling story and person. He’s overcome a lot, and while his contract may be steep this season he’s an NBA caliber point guard who can do some things very well. That shouldn’t get overlooked in discussions of him.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29