Jul 2, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
When Carmelo Anthony arrived at the Toyota Center to get pitched by the Houston Rockets as a free agent, there were pictures of Anthony there holding the Larry O’Brien trophy and wearing a No. 7 Rockets’ jersey.
The jersey that Jeremy Lin still wears for the Rockets.
Which pretty much tells you who stands where on the pecking order in Houston. But did Jeremy Lin feel disrespected by that? Of course, but on twitter he tried to take the high road.
There were reports that the Rockets let Lin know his number would be used, Lin’s agents denied this. As if any of that matters.
It’s not a secret to anyone that Jeremy Lin is on the trade block, in fact if Anthony chooses the Rockets (not likely) they reportedly have a deal already set up where they wouldn’t have to take any salary back. One way or another it’s likely Lin is wearing the No. 7 of another team at some point this year.
This is also far from the first time Lin has felt disrespected as a basketball player, it’s part of what makes him a compelling story and person. He’s overcome a lot, and while his contract may be steep this season he’s an NBA caliber point guard who can do some things very well. That shouldn’t get overlooked in discussions of him.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 45
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11