Jul 2, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
When projecting how much cap space the Spurs could clear for Pau Gasol, I was a little hesitant to even consider San Antonio renouncing Patty Mills. The Spurs could re-sign Matt Bonner and maybe even Boris Diaw and Aron Baynes with the room exception and minimum contracts – the only mechanisms remaining after the free agents were renounced. But that probably wouldn’t be enough to secure Mills.
At minimum the San Antonio point guard, who’s an unrestricted free agent, is intriguing.
Unfortunately, his stock has taken a major hit.
A shoulder injury has forced a devastated Patrick Mills to withdraw from Australia’s world cup campaign as the NBA championship-winner faces up to seven months out of action.
Fairfax Media can reveal Mills will have surgery in the coming days to repair the rotator cuff in his right shoulder.
Mills ranked No. 38 in Kurt’s list of the top 50 free agents. The Knicks were reportedly interested, but that was before they traded for Jose Calderon. Even if New York’s desire to sign Mills had waned, there would have been other suitors.
Now, I’m not so sure.
Plenty of teams might be willing to sign Mills and then give the 25-year-old time to rehab to full health. But there’s no guarantee he’ll ever return to full health.
This is a serious injury, one that could keep Mills out the first three months of next season. It would be foolish to assume a fully recovery is in order.
It would also be foolish to completely count out Mills. Smart teams will keep their eye on him and request medical records. From there, Mills’ value will be re-established – sadly for him, likely at a lower price point.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18