Jul 1, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Kyle Lowry is a highly sought after free agent for a couple reasons.
One: The point guard position has become key in the NBA and he is the best one available, a, aggressive, slashing player who puts up points, can dish the rock and plays strong defense.
The Toronto Raptors think they can keep him and are going hard with a big money offer, but Houston Rockets’ GM Daryl Morey and coach Kevin McHale were making a first hand pitch in the opening hours of free agency as well, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
It might be easier to list the players the Rockets are not going after. Plus trying to keep Chandler Parsons (who is going to get a lot of interest from the teams that strike out with Carmelo Anthony).
In some ways Lowry makes more sense than Anthony for the Rockets. He and James Harden would form as dynamic and maybe the most aggressive and attacking backcourt in the league. Plus Lowry gives the Rockets a good defender at the guard spot. One of the concerns with Anthony on the Rockets is that him and Harden together on the floor at one time leaves a lot of defensive messes for Dwight Howard to try to clean up.
Lowry has a lot of suitors. Miami has interest but the prices being bandied about — the Raptors offer reportedly starts at $12 million a year — is going to be too rich for their blood unless some of the big three take a massive pay cut.
Toronto GM Masai Ujiri is confident the Raptors can win him back, in part because of a big money offer that begins with at least that $12 million number.
What Lowry has are options.
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 2
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8