Jul 1, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
After Jason Kidd worked his way out of his Nets contract to pursue an opportunity with the Milwaukee Bucks — one that became official on Tuesday — Brooklyn wasted no time in locking in on a candidate to replace him.
While the Nets list originally was reported to include Mark Jackson and George Karl, things are moving quickly with Lionel Hollins.
Billy King, speaking at a press conference to reporters on Tuesday, said he had a dinner meeting with Hollins last night, and plans to meet again with him later in the day. An additional report says Brooklyn has Hollins as the team’s singular focus.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
At least one prime NBA coaching source convinced that Nets are lasered in on Lionel Hollins as their next coach even before meeting with him
There’s at least a little bit of an urgency to get a coach in place, with free agency having already begun and with Summer League for the Nets getting underway in Orlando later this week, so the speed at which the team appears to be moving is completely understandable.
Hollins, meanwhile, would make a fine choice. He led the Grizzlies to the Western Conference Finals in 2013, before a clash with management led to his not being brought back the following season. And by signing Hollins, the Nets would be getting a fairly well-known commodity, and some much-needed stability after hiring someone with no previous coaching experience who, after just one marginally successful season, made a play to move into a more prominent position.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4