Jul 1, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
Joel Embiid is coming to Philadelphia and the man has priorities, as he said in a conference call as reported by CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.
“I like food, so the Philly Cheesesteak, I’m already on that,” Embiid said during a conference call on Monday. “As soon as I get there, that’s the first thing I’m getting.”
I like a man with his priorities in the right place — you want to get to know a culture, a city, then eat their food. Probably don’t want to eat too many of those until you can start working out again, though.
Of course, Embiid is coming to Philadelphia to play basketball, the Sixers used the No. 3 pick to take the athletic center out of Kansas. Embiid was expected to go No.1 to the Cavaliers until he was diagnosed with a broken navicular bone in his foot that required surgery and two screws to set it. Embiid fell, but not far because the potential — the reward was worth the risk to GM Sam Hinkie. He’s right. If you’re going to be a title contender you need to take a couple big swings in the draft.
If you’re a Sixers fan you had to like what Embiid said on that conference call about rounding out his game.
“I want to be a complete player, so I’m going to work on everything — rebounding passing, handling, shooting,” Embiid said. “I want to be the kind of player that can do everything on the offensive end and defensive ends of the floor.”
He said he wants his game to resemble Hakeem Olajuwon, reports Gordie Jones at CSNPhilly.com.
“Just the way he moves,” Embiid said on a conference call with reporters Monday, four days after the Sixers made him the third pick in the NBA draft. “It’s kind of like he’s dancing.”
Those are lofty, lofty goals. But before your career starts is the time to dream big.
Sixers fans would take 80 percent of that dream career and be happy. It would mean a lot of wins.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 2
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 9
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60