Jul 1, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
Joel Embiid is coming to Philadelphia and the man has priorities, as he said in a conference call as reported by CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.
“I like food, so the Philly Cheesesteak, I’m already on that,” Embiid said during a conference call on Monday. “As soon as I get there, that’s the first thing I’m getting.”
I like a man with his priorities in the right place — you want to get to know a culture, a city, then eat their food. Probably don’t want to eat too many of those until you can start working out again, though.
Of course, Embiid is coming to Philadelphia to play basketball, the Sixers used the No. 3 pick to take the athletic center out of Kansas. Embiid was expected to go No.1 to the Cavaliers until he was diagnosed with a broken navicular bone in his foot that required surgery and two screws to set it. Embiid fell, but not far because the potential — the reward was worth the risk to GM Sam Hinkie. He’s right. If you’re going to be a title contender you need to take a couple big swings in the draft.
If you’re a Sixers fan you had to like what Embiid said on that conference call about rounding out his game.
“I want to be a complete player, so I’m going to work on everything — rebounding passing, handling, shooting,” Embiid said. “I want to be the kind of player that can do everything on the offensive end and defensive ends of the floor.”
He said he wants his game to resemble Hakeem Olajuwon, reports Gordie Jones at CSNPhilly.com.
“Just the way he moves,” Embiid said on a conference call with reporters Monday, four days after the Sixers made him the third pick in the NBA draft. “It’s kind of like he’s dancing.”
Those are lofty, lofty goals. But before your career starts is the time to dream big.
Sixers fans would take 80 percent of that dream career and be happy. It would mean a lot of wins.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8