Joel Embiid plans to come to Philly, eat a cheesesteak. And round out his game.

Jul 1, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT

Joel Embiid, Georges Niang Joel Embiid, Georges Niang

Joel Embiid is coming to Philadelphia and the man has priorities, as he said in a conference call as reported by CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.

“I like food, so the Philly Cheesesteak, I’m already on that,” Embiid said during a conference call on Monday. “As soon as I get there, that’s the first thing I’m getting.”

I like a man with his priorities in the right place — you want to get to know a culture, a city, then eat their food. Probably don’t want to eat too many of those until you can start working out again, though.

Of course, Embiid is coming to Philadelphia to play basketball, the Sixers used the No. 3 pick to take the athletic center out of Kansas. Embiid was expected to go No.1 to the Cavaliers until he was diagnosed with a broken navicular bone in his foot that required surgery and two screws to set it. Embiid fell, but not far because the potential — the reward was worth the risk to GM Sam Hinkie. He’s right. If you’re going to be a title contender you need to take a couple big swings in the draft.

If you’re a Sixers fan you had to like what Embiid said on that conference call about rounding out his game.

“I want to be a complete player, so I’m going to work on everything — rebounding passing, handling, shooting,” Embiid said. “I want to be the kind of player that can do everything on the offensive end and defensive ends of the floor.”

He said he wants his game to resemble Hakeem Olajuwon, reports Gordie Jones at CSNPhilly.com.

“Just the way he moves,” Embiid said on a conference call with reporters Monday, four days after the Sixers made him the third pick in the NBA draft. “It’s kind of like he’s dancing.”

Those are lofty, lofty goals. But before your career starts is the time to dream big.

Sixers fans would take 80 percent of that dream career and be happy. It would mean a lot of wins.

1. cantonbound13 - Jul 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Cheesesteaks will round you out, ask Andy Reid.

2. antistratfordian - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM

The best cheesesteak I had in Philly didn’t even come from Philly, it was from Harrisburg. I was disappointed in Geno’s and Pat’s – but I doubt that those are the places locals would go to get theirs.

• sumkat - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:34 PM

No self respecting person from Philadelphia would be caught dead at Geno’s or Pat’s. They are tourist traps, and nothing else. The only time they are acceptable is if you are in your young 20’s, and just stumbled out of a club at 3 AM, and it’s the only thing open.

• antistratfordian - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Good to know – that’s exactly what it came off as. I wonder, where does a self respecting person from Philadelphia go for their cheesesteaks?

• sumkat - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Would really depend on where you are staying. Different areas of the city have their own spots that are better. But as far as the more “famous” places, Steve’s Prince of Steaks or Jims is probably the way to go

• philswfc08 - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM

john’s roast pork has the best cheesesteaks around.

• sixerstrong - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Agreed with sumkat. Jim’s and Steve’s are best for the South St. area. Each section of the city has their best spots. If you are in the West Philly/St. Joe’s/City Ave. area, you should check out Larry’s Steaks. It’s right of the St. Joe’s campus and is where Iverson used to frequent. Saw him there at 2:30 am some random Saturday night my freshman year.

• cuejay - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Where in Harrisburg????

3. rrhoe - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Jim’s Steak’s in West Philly all day long……

• sumkat - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Chink’s (now Joe’s) is better than Jim’s, who has also started to turn into a gimmick instead of a place to get good food. If your going for a chain place, which Jim’s is, I’d go with Steve’s Prince of Steaks before Jim’s

• rrhoe - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I will definitely check them out…..

4. espfdps - Jul 1, 2014 at 2:17 PM

No one from Philly goes to geno’s or Pat’s

5. pourman - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Mama’s on Belmont in Bala will put you to sleep with a smile, but Joel don’t be throwing down too many of those.

• phillies816 - Jul 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Mama’s is better than most but Dalessandro’s in Roxborough is the best in the city IMO

• pourman - Jul 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM

They are killer, indeed.

6. mazblast - Jul 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I don’t know what kind of player he’s going to be, but in terms of public relations, he’s certainly off to a good start with the potentially fractious Philadelphia folks. Do your rehab, take your time, work on your game, say “we” instead of “I” whenever you can, and do all the PR work the organization asks for and then some. Show the fans you’re committed to them and the team, and even in a hard-core town like Philly they’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

7. papichulo55 - Jul 1, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Steve’s Prince of Steaks are the best in the Sliced category. Order a ‘double meat, wit, provolone’. Don’t say with onions, its socially unacceptable. Dalessandro’s in Roxborough is a Chopped steak, also excellent, unlimited hot bell peppers and a boutique black cherry soda. And for the truly brave, try Max’s at Broad and Erie. Great sandwich, also Chopped, and a very edgy crowd. Don’t pull out your stack while paying.

8. saint1997 - Jul 1, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Hope beyond hope these injuries don’t cause chronic problems. I don’t think they will, but that would be such a shame

9. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I am 100% a cheesesteak-guy…the onions…the cheese…what’s not to love?

BUT….anyone who really knows the Philadelphia food-scene will attest to the incredible…magical sandwich that is the hot roast pork, it is truly every bit as good as the cheesesteak. If you happen to sink your teeth into one at DINIC’S…you will then know exactly what I speak of.

10. phillies816 - Jul 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Dinic’s roast pork is incredible. Stopped by a couple Sundays ago and had one for breakfast. Yes I said breakfast

11. enigma2742 - Jul 1, 2014 at 11:43 PM

he gonna have to go to the projects to get some real philly chessesteaks

12. icdogg - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:12 AM

There are so many small places with good cheesesteaks, all over the city and burbs. Whatever neighborhood you’re in, you’re not far from an excellent cheesesteak. Ask the locals.

I prefer them with provolone and pizza sauce (aka a pizza steak) and with onions (“wit”) personally.

13. mungman69 - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:51 AM

I used to live in the Philly burbs, Rosemont, and there were great cheestakes right around the corner.
    Now I live elsewhere and the cheestakes are terrible.
    Embiid will love Philly.

14. courtjester1234 - Jul 2, 2014 at 6:40 AM

I only live 15 mins from the city. I was dating a girl from 2nd street. A 2 streeter as they’re known as. And the first time that I wanted a steak, she wanted to take me to Pats\ Genos. I had to decline and chose a steak from city pizza. Even they are better. Then Tony Luke opened one right on the corner. He should be thrown in with the other 2 for tourists

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches