Heat’s reported free agent targets: Steve Blake, Shawn Marion, Vince Carter, Marvin Williams, Trevor Ariza, Kyle Lowry, DeJuan Blair, Spencer Hawes, Channing Frye
Jul 1, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
I believe the uncertainty rests in whom Riley could land. I don’t see the big three taking pay cuts to make room for just anyone.
According to sources, among the players the Heat will pursue are veteran Warriors guard Steve Blake, who can play either guard spot, can knock down 3-pointers and is expected to draw interest from other contenders, like the Thunder.
The Heat would like to add someone in his prime this summer, including Marvin Williams, Trevor Ariza or Kyle Lowry. But the fact is, there won’t be much available when it comes to players in their 20s, and the Heat can’t go overboard with spending. DeJuan Blair is a possibility at power forward, while Spencer Hawes and Channing Frye are outside possibilities for the frontcourt.
Miami needs better support for the big three, and these players could push the Heat over the edge to the championship next season. It’s not as if they were that far off this year, and the won the previous two years.
But most of these players are not exceptional. They’re supporting players, and the mid-level exception, bi-annual exception or minimum salaries – what Miami would have available if the big three seek big deals – should be enough to lure them to a championship-caliber team playing in a tax-free state with great weather.
When Marvin Williams is a longshot, that says something about the Heat’s options.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 6
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 11
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18